6- Tossed around.

"Who is your mom?" Monnet is the first to reply, her voice warm and welcoming although the stiffness in the air doesn't change at her attempts.

"Was." I correct Monnet, stealing a quick glance over at her mixed light and dark gray eyes as they darken, sadness tracing the lines on her face. "Her name was Essence Barnes, and she was a magnificent human being."

   "She wasn't human." The woman who I don't know the name of gives me a look of utter disgust, her eyes fierce all of the sudden. "And I think I know why you are what you are..."

I gasp, my eyes staring directly into the woman's hazel eyes with such seriousness that any smart person would back away.

"Excuse me?!" My voice comes out sharp, my mere strength keeping my body balanced. "You knew my mom?!"

   "Yep." The woman's quickness to respond sends chills down my back, and the way she is looking at me as if I am some animal all of the sudden makes me want to punch her maddening expression right off her face. "And I don't want to share any more information on that woman..."

   The woman springs at me, surprising me so much that I don't even have any time to shrink away from her long fingers. She yanks me away from the spot I had been standing at, my own legs seeming to follow the woman's command as she drags me across the room and towards the door.

"Kelly!!" Her voice thuds into my ears as she screams across the house, her fingers still gripping my arm so tightly I can barely feel the blood flow working correctly. "We need to go, come downstairs darling!!"

Confused, I look back at Jade and her family. Wolfe, who I hadn't noticed walked in, stands next to his sister, their resemblance shining remarkably. All four of the family members stare at the woman who holds me with quizzical looks on their defined faces.

"Caroline, what are you doing?" Fulton questions the woman who holds her firm grip on me and blindly reaches for the door with her free hand behind her.

   "I have to take her to The Drite," Her voice is as hard as steel, just like her iron grip, "They'll know what to do with this creature!"

   "What are you talking about?!" Wolfe responds to Caroline while he takes a pre-cautious step towards her.

   "She's part blue-blood, part no-good, and part human, no telling where else she could be part of. She does not belong here." Caroline tugs me towards the now open door, the wind pulling my hair up and tossing it around as we stand in the doorway. "The Drite will thank me, and so will you after I take her."

   "Oh no you will not!" Jade snarls, the harshness in her tone making me flinch and take a step back. "The Drite will not help!!! You know what they'll do to her!!"

   "You'll thank me later." Caroline replies without hesitation. Her daughter, Kelly, runs up to her and shows her mother the cutest smile, but it doesn't stay for long. The smile transforms into a frown once she sees her mother's grip on me.

   "Wa are you doin ma?" Kelly asks, the innocence in her syllables making butterflies flutter around inside my churning stomach.

   "Go to the car." Caroline warns her daughter, and when Kelly exits the house and skips towards a black limo that is pulled on the side of the road, Caroline turns back and squeezes my arm tighter.

   "Forgive me, Monnet." She finishes, her free hand whipping up from her side only to come to a stop mid-air, her fingers spreading and muscles freezing. She looks as if she is telling the family to stop, but to my surprise, a shimmering wall flashes in between us and Jade's family, each of their faces turning horrified except for Wolfe's emotionless expression.