10- Broken.

After I slip out of the small shower, I spot an outfit that sits on the marble counter and dry myself off with a large red towel, inspecting the clothing curiously.

   This bathroom does not even look like Jade's bathroom, by a long shot. Instead of the long mirror Jade had in their's that took up the whole wall with the sink beneath it, this bathroom has a small oval mirror with a tiny sink sitting underneath it. To add onto that, the sink is smashed into a small space next to the toilet.

   With my body all dried off I take a step closer to the clothes and when I lift the top off of the pile I realize that the outfit is the same type of outfit as Jade and her family were wearing except this one is a two-piece. When I slip it onto my fragile body the only parts of my body that are showing are my hands, my feet, my stomach, my neck, and my head.

At first I am disgusted to the maximum. Like, how in the world can Jade look so good in an outfit nearly identical to this one, even when she is bleeding?!

Then, I look at myself in the mirror and the person staring back at me surprises me. My blue eyes that match the ocean's dark color stare back at me with a new look to them, one that is so different than the one I wore before: independence and strength.

Now the eyes that stare back at me make me feel like something has washed away a gloss that I didn't know was covering them up and allowed them to trust the light in the room to access their beauty.

I try to think of a reason why my independence would've disappeared and I can't help but notice how many times I put myself in harm's way for Jade and her family. It was like my instinct was to run away, but my heart betrayed my mind. The reason why has to be one of the two reasons that are circling around in my head: either I feel bad for being the reason harm has come their way, or I trust them... And it can't be the second reason because not only do I ever lend my trust to strangers but it takes a long time for people to even notice that there is a key to my heart in the first place.

Shaking the thoughts off of me, I blink and my eyes wander down from their reflection and stare at my upper body. Not only does this outfit show how flat-chested I am but the dark color makes my skin look even more pale: especially my stomach.

I groan, quickly plow a hand through my long damp hair, and then head out of the room, out of the bedroom, and into a long hallway. The hallway is narrow and straight with pictures hung up on both sides of the walls where doorways do not stand.

Voices drift down the hallway towards me so I continue on, giving each picture a sideways glance along the way. All of the pictures have two girls in common. Both of them have chocolate-colored skin and beautiful caramel-colored eyes with pretty thick eyelashes protecting them.

One of the girls is twice the age of the other--probably the mother-- and has longer hair, her curls caressing her defined face. She has a pointy chin and cheeks that are small but yet stick out for the world to see the joy in.

The other girl, who looks around seven years old in the latest-looking photograph, has a round head but yet has a pointy chin like her mother, cute dimples modeling for the cameras in every picture. Her hair is just like her mother's: curly and showing out in volume.

In a few photos a man with a huge white grin and dark brown eyes holds the girls in his arms or against his chest, but he doesn't appear to be in the later ones.

I make it out of the hallway, which opens up into an extensive dining room, and peer at the faces of Jade's family that are all seated at a long table that stands in the center of the room. Ken sits in Monnet's lap, his scrawny arms wrapped around her, his bitty head resting in the crook of her neck. Fulton sits next to her with his hand on her leg respectfully, and Jade and Wolfe are seated across from them, both of their eyes on the table and not even daring to look into mine. Jade looks ashamed though, while on the other hand, Wolfe still looks as angry as a fox.