13- Insane... Crazy... But reasonable.

I take the stairs up step by step while trying to gather my feelings and thoughts before I show myself to Hawk and Wolfe.

   What exactly am I going to say?

   What are they going to say to me?

   I want them to be unable to read my eyes and expression, because, if I'm not kidding myself, I know I don't really know how I feel about them and I wouldn't want them to know before I even figure it out.

   I pop my head above the floor and then step up the rest of the stairs, realizing that Hawk and Wolfe are staring at me. I look up, meeting Hawk's eyes and avoiding Wolfe's as I walk towards them. Both of them are standing beside a window and standing in front of each other but their heads are turned towards me. Sunlight filters in the room from the window and the sky is dazzlingly clear, the light color of blue reminding me of Wolfe's memorable eyes.

Not one cloud floats in the sky which makes the outdoors look hot, the sun bouncing off leaves and specks of green grass. Squirrels run about, birds soaring on by on the wild countryside.

When I step up next to both of the boys I leave my eyes trained on the window and the scenery behind the fine glass. I wait for one of them to speak first, hiding my feelings behind the veil of a straight face.

"We don't know how you are going to get the last blood." Hawk abruptly says, his arms  crossing over his chest.

   After a long silence, I clear my throat and look at him.

"I do." I reply. His orange eyes sting mine, his disbelief shining bright like the sun.

"Caroline." I tell him and study his expression as his eyebrows rise. "Do you know who she is?"

   "Yes... Doesn't she work for The Drite?" Hawk asks, suspicion clinging to his syllables.

   "She did." Wolfe inserts himself into the conversation, but my eyes stay on Hawk. "But... She tried to steal Eve after she realized who Eve's mother was. I think she knew what Eve was after that..."

    "She told Wolfe's family that she was going to take me to The Drite but when she stuffed me in the trunk and got into her car she called someone and told them that she 'had the girl'." I counter, thoughts connecting in my mind. "I think she knew before-hand... And I think she was going to take me to someone in the no-goods' dimension. 

   "And why do you think that?" Wolfe question's  me, his eyes darting to mine as I shift them out the window.

   "Because those two men that were with her when she tried to grab me at your house the second time were no-goods. They were not human." I tell him, a bird catching my eye on its flight in the sky.

    "I thought they were wearing halter outfits?" Wolfe asks, eyes stuck on me.

    "They had red eyes... Just-Just like that monster that attacked us when we were escaping Caroline." I inform him, my heartbeat a steady thud in my ears.

   After a simple, quick silence, Hawk's voice sears into my ears.

   "What do you suggest we do?" Hawk queries, eyes on me like Wolfe's.

   "I think we should let her take me to the dimension." I propose and look down at my hands when both men immediately shake their heads.

   "That's a crazy idea!" Wolfe breathes, icy eyes wild in the corner of my eyes. "You don't know what she might do to you or what exactly she wants!"

   "I know..." I reply with my voice soft.

   "I mean she has tried hard to get you and even if she takes you to the dimension you need you might not even make it out of her grasp alive to be able to get the blood you need." Wolfe explains. When I don't look at him, his hands shoot up and grab my shoulders. He turns me and when my eyes flash up to his baby blue ones my heart speeds up like a firework on its incline towards the stars.