22- Are you okay?

•Eve's P.O.V.•

   The night started out like any day would in this creepy dimension- cold, and very dark. The team and I decided to walk a little ways away from that horrid pond and set camp in a low tree with an extensive canopy. The tree was thick, and a great place to hide in to get away from the nightmarish no-goods than roam freely in this thick forest.

I volunteered to take the first watch to make sure no foul creatures crossed our path. Everyone tried to talk me out of it and deny my opinions but I pushed forward and made sure that I got the first watch.

The truth is, I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep. Thoughts flooded my mind- feelings, images, memories- and they still do to this very second.

Right now I sit on the branch right in the center of the tree, able to watch Ellie and sleep Gage below me, and Wolfe and Marcus above me.

I rest my cold body comfortably against the trunk of the tree, my feet dangling from either side of the tree branch beneath me. My heart pounds loud in my ears alongside the steady clashing of the dark leaves around me.

    I honestly can't believe the day I've had

I honestly can't believe the day I've had. First, finding out about my mom, sister, and that Gage is going to be my brother soon. Then, I find out that Gage loves me and that the feeling isn't mutual. And then nearly dying in a pond of muck and evil plants encloses the day's events.

What. A. Day.

I let my head fall back against the tree trunk and look up, my eyes stinging out of tiredness. But when I peer up at Wolfe in his peaceful slumber, the stinging subsides and a smile cheats its way onto my lips.

My heart flutters, my stomach twisting up in a knot, as I let my eyes scroll over his features- his handsome head of dark, wavy hair, his long eyelashes, his thick lips, and his extremely gorgeous body.

    I can't imagine a man that could look any better than the man my eyes are on right now.

    I stare dreamily at Wolfe, and feel myself start to float off into a nice, peaceful sleep, until suddenly a twig snaps beneath the tree.

   Hearing it, I sit up and swipe both of my knives from my belt, my eyes staring at the coat of leaves underneath me.

   No other sounds occur, but I still can't shake the feeling that something is wrong, so I slowly swing my legs over to the same side and lower myself onto the nearest branch. I plop down onto it, falling to the next one until finally I am at the lowest branch and am peering through the thousands of leaves before my eyes and the darkness beyond it.

   At first, I don't see anything.

   Then, in the darkness, I spot a human in red standing beneath the tree, the man's eyes squinting, but I can still tell where he is looking.