Rotting

"Another nightmare?" Mothers soothing voice spoke. She was rubbing my back too, which made it all feel better. I nodded.

"Can you tell me what they're about?" I shook my head.

Although I love my mother, I couldn't bring myself to tell her the monstrosity that is my nightmares. 

"I-I don't remember them." I lied. "I just know they're horrible. But I'm better now mom. Thanks." I gave her my brightest smile.

She hugged me tightly and went back to her room. After she closed the door I sat in my bed for hours. I didn't want to go back to sleep just yet.

Every time I closed my eyes I saw people. Their chest cavity lay open and their still beating hearts lay in my hand. Their screams were the worst part. They were horrible, gruesome, as well as loud. But that wasn't even the worst part. The worst part is how I felt during the dream. Nothing. Shear boredom as I killed these people. I know it was just a dream but it woke me up screaming every night.

Mom wants me to see a psychologist, but I somehow doubt that they could help. I looked around my dark room. A poster for Harry Potter was on the walls, as well as a calendar, and a map of the world. Normal stuff. But still it brought a sense of joy to me just looking at them. I looked at my dresser with the intent of reading the time, but spotting my teddy bear. I had had this thing for as long as I can remember. I grabbed it and hugged it tightly to my chest. Hoping it would drive the monsters away.

When I put my bear back I saw the clock, 5:12. I groaned knowing I was going to have to get up soon so I tried to get up. Now when I say tried I more or less flipped my blankets off and sat there, cold. After a few minutes of pouting I finally set my feet on the cold hardwood floor.

I liked black and purple, they were my favorite colors. So I decided that a purple tank top and a black jacket where the perfect attire for the day. I just wanted to be happy today.

As I was pulling my unyielding pants on I smelled bacon seeping up from the kitchen. I let my nose lead me down the hall and down the stairs to where my mom was cooking.

I loved watching her cook. She always seemed to be dancing, and today was no exception. Only classics played from her IPhone that sat on the counter. Mixed with the sound of sizzling bacon, odd mix, but it was home.

"Brush your teeth and brush your hair dear." She said without having looking at me. How did she do that?

"How do you know I haven't already?" I challenged. She turned around and looked at me with an all knowing gaze.

"Because I can see you. Now go. Before the bacon is done." She didn't have to tell me twice.

When I got into the bath room I looked in the mirror. A girl with dark brown hair and pale gray eyes stared back. I have a scar the reached from my jaw to a bit higher than my cheek bone. It looked at if someone had etched a crack on my face before I was born. I finger the branch like scar before brushing out the mess that is my hair.

I liked walking to school. It had a certain tranquil quality about it. I could breathe in the cool morning air and watch the sun peep over the horizon. I loved it. But today I just felt numb. I'd had this feeling before, but I always found that it passed sooner or later.

A few minutes after I walked into school the bell rang.

Perfect timing as usual. I thought to myself.

I could feel the stares of everyone looking at me as I walked down the hall. Not only was there my scar on my face, but I had a scar around my neck that drew everyone's attention. I just ignored them.