Log Cabins

A few weeks went by. School was so boring. I mean- I didn't know much about what we were learning but there was just so much more stuff I could be doing. I realized in these past few weeks just how boring our lives are. No wonder our only entertainment was to kill people.

We had become serial killers. Not too shocking. I mean we had left over 20 people dead from slit throats. Yet they couldn't find the murder weapon, connection, or fingerprints. I couldn't help but laugh at their fruitless efforts.

My permanent place was on the couch. I didn't mind. It was comfortable and I got to watch T.V. when I wanted. Especially when I had nightmares. I would wake up screaming and almost every time there was a cup of sweet minty milk on the floor next to me.

Sophie had become basically attached at our hips. Mainly Hals. We both gave him so much shit for that.

"So my parents and I were going up to our cabins that we can rent for two weeks. And since we get two my parents thought it would be fun to invite my friends. So...would you like to come." Sophie asked. She was so adorable. Her voice reminded me of a small child's, her height didn't help any.

"Why not. Not like we're going anything for Christmas break." Fey beamed at the girl. Hal just nodded blankly.

He saw me staring and I drew a smile on my face. He gave me a large, fake, smile. I put my hands in my hips and pouted. This got him to laugh.

"We'd love to come. When do we leave?" I asked, turning away from Hal.

"At the end of the week hopefully." She had grown ten times happier.

"Depends on weather. So far we're planning on Friday. We might have to leave Thursday seeing as how the weather is looking to get worse the later we go."

Ding

Ding

Ding

Lunch was over. We bid farewell and headed our separate ways. This was the only class I had without one of those three. It was interesting to observe the other students.

"Did you hear in the news. Another three dead last night. The killers seem to only target groups of three. Better not hang out after dark." Some guy said. A jock it looked like.

"Well if only two of you hang out, then it wouldn't be a problem right?" I butted in with a flirtatious flutter of my eyes.

"Yeah. Wait. No. Better to get a larger group or just not go out." He said tuning around to face me.

"Honestly if we stay in populated areas I don't think we'll be in any trouble." The one with glasses and a zit covered face said. I hadn't bothered to know their names. And I was bored, so why not try to spook them a bit.

"That's exactly what people think. That it won't be them. But yet, it could. You never know." I said shrugging as if it wasn't a big deal.

"Well you and your two brothers could be in danger. You're a group of three." I let a loud laugh. He was halfway right. But the reality of it is that we were the ones doing the killing.

"Trust me. They couldn't kill us they wanted to."

"What? You know Karate or sssomething?" The kid with braces said.

"Better. We have this thing called..." We're the ones that kill. "A gun." The look on their faces was priceless.

"I'm just kidding guys. Come one. Lighten up. We just don't go out after dark. Duh." I said simply. They just laughed nervously at me.

Ding

Ding

Ding

Class had begun.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The week passed by like watching molasses creep down the bottle. But eventually Thursday came around. We decided to leave early to avoid the storm moving in. Snow was on the ground now. Not much but it was building up.

"Good thing we have a minivan." Mrs. Logan said to her husband. He had brown hair and hazel eyes too. His face held more of Sophie's features. To the small rounded nose, to the flat eyes and child like face.

"Yeah. After you bullied me away from a nice little Accord." He teased his wife playfully. Hal sat in one of the middle section seats and Sophie quickly claimed the spot next to him.

Fey and I climbed over Hal just to annoy him. Fey even stepped on him. Causing Hal to smack at him. He smacked his butt.

"Oo. Babe. Not here." He gave him a wink.

"Sorry babe. Next time I'll slap your face." Good thing the parents were finishing packing and didn't hear our conversation. If they did they didn't say anything.

"How long will it take to get there?" I wondered.

"Oh, it should only take a few hours." Thank god.

"Want a book? Movie? Some music?" Mrs. Logan asked.

"I'd like a book." Both Hal and Fey said.

"Movie." Sophie and I asked.

"I have...The Importance Of Being Earnest, King Lear, then um... Some Steven King." She was rummaging through her bag.

"I'll take King Lear." Hal asked.

"Shakespeare fan eh? Same here." She handed him the play.

"I just like classics."

"King Lear is probably my favorite Shakespeare play." Sophie tried. He just hummed a response and began reading.

Fey and I exchanged glances.

"I'll take some of that Steven King please." He leaning into me and whispered. "I like the gore." I chuckled at him.

Sophie and I decided to watch 27 Dresses. I hadn't seen it. I really didn't watch movies. It really hit me that I haven't seen anything. It was just all imprinted from Alice. I have only been here for almost a month. That was strange to feel.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally. We arrived at the cabins. They looked just like you'd picture them. Logy and cabin-y. They were a bit more high tech though. With electric stoves, heaters, and even electricity.

I noticed Hal and Fey played on their phones when they got bored. I had not such way of distracting myself. I was tempted to grab them and break them so that they could suffer with me, but decided against it.

"Alright kids, can we trust you guys to stay out of trouble?" Mrs. Logan asked. Mr. Logan had his arm draped around her shoulder.

"Of course Mr. and Mrs. Logan. We only have the cleanest of fun planned." Fey could sound responsible when he wanted to. Mr. And Mrs. Logan smiled and walked to their cabin.

"They don't have the cleanest of fun planned." There was that Fey I knew and...well. That I knew.

"They're married." I snorted at him.

"So, it's still considered nasty." He tapped my shoulder playfully and skipped to our cabin.

We came in on Sophie pulling out some board games. Hal was sitting on the sofa, looking board. Or at least thought he did. Hal was looking intently at something.

"Apple, Fey." He summoned.

We walked over and looked out the small window in the middle of the wall. It was that thing again. That creature that seemed to be made of shadow. The edges of him seemed to fade away then reappear, like he was underwater. The more I looked the more I could tell distinct features, like how there were clearly fangs on this thing. It appeared to be shaped like a human, but something about it made it clear that this thing was not human.

"Whatcha guys looking at?" Sophie came over and looked out the window with us.

"It's so pretty." I covered. It was there, and she didn't see it.

"Isn't it? I love he snow. Do you guys want to play a game and pop some popcorn?" She walked away. And as she did, the thing vanished.

"What does it mean? What is it?" I asked.

"It's been following us for so long. At first, we were afraid of it, now we just don't know. Whenever it shows up, things seem to turn sour." Fey said with so much seriousness it was scary. They both looked that way.

"It's gone now. So let's try to have some fun." I said with more feeling than I wanted. I just wanted them to stop looking so distant.

"K." Hal said, breaking his gaze from the window.