Chapter 4

Taehyung's POV

We woke up when it was still dark, and with springs in our steps, went through Jimin's trail of the woods to Jin's pick-up truck. The eldest hyung drove us to the gas station to fill the car up with fuel, while "Ma City" sang in the speakers. I fell asleep again with Jimin at the back of the truck, courtesy of Hoseok's brisk and steady rap.

   The next thing I knew, I was sitting up and rubbing my eyes, grinning at Yoongi's smirk when Jimin's head poked out from under the blanket he used to keep warm. Apparently, Jungkook and Yoongi had woken up earlier than the rest of the gang and chose to rouse up with a few taps on the windows of the truck. Clambering out with ease, we gazed at our surroundings. Looking around myself, I saw that Jin drove through the last of the moonlight and onto a pier that overlooked where the oceanic Polaroid was taken. The sun was barely over the horizon, brilliantly illuminating the clouds with purple, orange, and yellow streaks. The truck was parked close to two slabs of concrete at the water's edge, perfect platforms for viewing. A few seagulls flew in a small group, adding more natural beauty to the setting. The water was emerald green, the sky colorful, and my mind peaceful.

    Led by Jungkook, we jumped up onto the higher platform, settled down, and silently observed the breathtaking view. No words or gestures were exchanged - it was just us and the scene before us. Really, you could compare it to that night around the fire - nice and tranquil. We could all sense all of each other's feelings, and we accepted them, just setting them aside to share the quiet happiness between us.

   And that was when I looked up to admire the sunrise.

   What I saw was a tall, metal structure with a ladder on the side, leading to the rigid surface at the very top. Solid poles supported the scaffolding, and strips of material tied to them waved in the wind. Some types of markers, perhaps.

   Seeing the odd feature made me want to go back to those thoughts when I was standing at the overhang by the pool. Should I let go of my worries? Or stay with the guilt and my friends? Namjoon's voice at that time came back to me. 

   "You can smile as long as we're together. I'm sorry, Taehyung."

   And that was when I knew that he knew. But did he really want me to do it? I didn't want to let go of my trust to him.

   Suddenly, I found myself climbing the ladder - up,up,up - to the platform. How did I even get here? What was going on with me? And how was I already standing at the top of the structure? At last, I realized that I knew what was to be done - and in fact - I wanted to do it. The water begged me, persuaded me, needed me. 

   Back then, I thought that this would have been for the better. My friends didn't deserve an extra weight on their backs. My mother most likely never wanted to see me ever again. Father was dead. The world either didn't know or didn't need me. Also, I could be set free of the burden of Father's murder. 

   Although  my friends now noticed me and begged me to come down, I gave them a small smile, took a few steps back, ran forward to the edged, and embraced the thought of drowning.

   I jumped.