Chapter 7

Hoseok's POV

   I knew that the heart rate monitor was going to be silent anyways. But still, seeing it in person gave my stage name, J-Hope, cruel irony.

   Taehyung was gone.

   The rest of us attended his funeral. Tears were shed. Jungkook, Jimin, and I couldn't control ourselves, Jin sobbed quietly, Namjoon wore dark sunglasses and a mask, and Yoongi - when he thought no one was looking - cried quietly. He was only caught once by me, showing his reserved sadness only privately.

   Taehyung was buried in a clearing in the woods, the woods that we played in at what seemed eons ago. He would want to be there, away from where we learned he murdered his father. We all understood why Taehyung didn't tell us, but we were still a little mad at him. We knew he didn't want to break what we had, but it wasn't fair at all to have all the work put on just one person. Now, our loss, in his vain attempt to protect us from reality, gave himself for us. He wanted to preserve our youth, so in honor of him, we tried to move on, and so had a party six days later to try to wash away our lingering sorrow.

   It did not go well.

   I didn't know how, but we all decided to imagine that Taehyung was somehow with us. Nevertheless, the smiles were fake although we managed to have a decent time with the illusion we wanted to believe was real. No photos were taken, for cameras saw through our daydreaming.

   The party ended and everybody left except for Jungkook, Yoongi, and me. I was going to leave with the rest of the group, but then I heard crashes and shouts coming from Namjoon's living room, where most of the party was held. When I peered into where we hallucinated about Taehyung, I saw Jungkook and Yoongi fighting, much Taehyung's parents did. As much as I wanted to stop the rift growing between them, I stood horrified, rooted to the spot, unable to move.

   Yoongi was obviously drunk, as he reeked of the alcohol he consumed during the party. He swept all that remained of the beverages off a table, sending them to the floor. Jungkook, angered by Yoongi's actions,  punched him at the jaw, making Yoongi stagger. After a tense moment, he hugged Yoongi, silently trying to apologize for his rash behavior. Yoongi did not understand, and in his drunken state, shoved Jungkook against a sofa, ramming his chest into the edge. While Jungkook writhed in pain, Yoongi grabbed a chair and threw it at a cabinet, shattering the built-in mirror, and at last, I realized. Nothing was going to be the same. 

   The house of cards we had been living in had fallen.