One

Everyone left the graveyard quickly, while I followed my parents through the crowd of silent, sad people dressed in black. I sighed, passing the big pictures of Mr and Mrs Leonhardt by the gate, as people left flowers, crying and speaking to them.

I hate funerals so much.

As we turned the corner, we could see a full view of the graveyard. As everyone stared leaving, there was only one person left in the whole graveyard. I couldn't see her face, but I knew instantly who it was. Her blond hair tied back in a bun, her head staring down at the two graves.

"Mum?"

"Yeah?"

"I'll catch up in a minute. She's my friend," I lied.

My mother looked over, sighing deeply. "Okay Armin. That's so lovely of you. Okay, don't be long. We'll see you at home."

"Thanks." I turned down, and ran back through the crowd. People stared as I pushed through, going the opposite way, back through the gate.

There she was, standing, shaking in the rain, staring at her parents' death beds. I walked slowly over, as the last few people faded away into the distance. I gulped nervously, and walked up to Annie Leonhardt.

"I-I'm so sorry," I started. She looked up, turning her pale, tear-stained face to look at me. She sighed deeply.

"It -it's okay. It's fine. I- I'm fine. Thank you for your concern." I leaned down next to the graves, whispering my goodbyes. Annie stood behind me quietly.

"H-how did you know them?"

I turned back to her gaze. "My dad worked with your dad. He.. Umm... Thought highly of him."

Annie nodded slowly. "Oh. Arlert right?"

"Yeah."

"Oh. Yeah, I remember dad talking about him. Nice family."

"Ahah. Thanks I guess."

Annie turned back, sighing again. She was shivering. I stood up, taking my coat off and wrapping it around her.

"Thank you," she whispered. I smiled.

"They were good people Annie."

"Thank you. I know."

We stood in silence as the rain carried on to pour.

"So, what will you do now?" I asked her.

"Oh.. I don't really know. Live with my aunt. Go to boarding school."

My eyes widened at her saying the last bit. I was returning to boarding school in September, and there was only one boarding school in the whole area. I grinned. "Well, you wont be alone. I'll be there."

Annie paused. "Thanks, but its okay. You don't have to hang out with me. I prefer to be alone actually."

"Oh. Okay."

"So... How come you've come back to talk to me?" Annie asked.

I sighed. "Well, I saw you all alone, and, well, I knew who you were. I didn't want to leave you alone."

"Thanks," she whispered again. "Dad was right. You are a good person." She smiled at her father's gravestone. She rain poured harder, and I saw a tree in the corner of my eye.

"Hey, lets get some shelter. Before you catch a cold or worse." I made my way over to the tree, slowly followed by Annie. Her eyes seemed far away, her expression weak and vulnerable.

"It's... Arnold right?"

"Close. Armin actually."

"Oh, sorry. Yeah, I know now." She looked back again at the graves. I followed her daze, and sighed instantly. Her blonde ringlets dripped onto her feet.

"Right. Lets get you home then. Where do you live?"

"Well. My aunt should be expecting me. But she lives quite far from here. On the other side of town."

"I've got time" I answered. She stared at me as I smiled. Her eyes sparkled slightly and her expression turned almost thankful.

"You don't have to. We barely know each other. I don't want to cause any trouble."

"Its fine. I want to help. Come on."

She sighed, but followed anyway. As we left, she put her hands to her parents' pictures, letting a few tears fall free down her face. I heard her whisper "I love you" before joining me again.

"Okay. Shall we go?"

"Yeah. Lets leave this place."