Eighteen

Mikasa ran forward, tired and teary eyed from the long night. Sasha had her eyes locked on me. Mikasa hugged me tight, no words needed. Jean and Eren stood still, Eren watching apologetically, and Jean, an embarrassed face. Their parents stood close behind them, unimpressed with their children yet also sympathetic towards Annie, who just stood there.

I wanted to say something, but I didn't know where to start. Her face was emotionless. The silence was unbearable, until finally it was cut off by a policeman.

"Well, we'll be putting you two under close watch. Besides from that you're free to go. Any problem?" He added, referring to us and our unsure faces.

"No, we're just fine. I'm late for a lesson, I'll see you," she clearly acted. I gaped at her sudden change, yet she was clearly still avoiding our glances.

Then before I knew it, Annie turned around, and moved through the group, turning away down another corridor. I stepped forward, wishing to follow, but Jean's father blocked the way, grabbing Jean's shoulder forcefully.

"Come on Jean. Lets leave. Nice seeing you all, considering. You two were lucky. This wont happen again. We're off."

They walked away, in the same direction as Annie, leaving Sasha, me and the Jaëger family to walk back to the visitors room to tell Connie and Marco. As we walked, I moved over to Eren and Mikasa. Mikasa's head bolted straight up.

"Armin, we're sorry. We didn't know. You could have told us about Annie."

"I was worried about what you'd think. I didn't want it effecting our group," I admitted. I could feel Sasha's hand against my back. Mikasa sighed. I added; "and besides, it's not my information to share. Annie is private. I'm so stupid for saying anything."

"Hey, you couldn't help it. Its unfortunate, yes, but, it's alright. We would still love you."

"But you could never love her. She doesn't want that love. She doesn't want to be close to someone. Not anymore."

Eren and Mikasa paused, glancing at each other. "Then how come she just paid to get them both out of jail?"

My heart stopped, and so did me feet. Sasha crashed into me, but I didn't notice. I blinked twice.

"What?!"

"Yeah. She came in with the money and bailed them out. Paid for everything."

I carried on to stare. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

And then the irony of it all.

She had done something incredible for my friends, and I repay her by spreading the truth around, the one she had only told me. The one she trusted me with. The trust I had broken.

"It's so sad." Sasha broke my trail of thought. I nodded sadly.

"Its alright. We don't have to worry about it. Please don't spread it, okay?"

"No, of course not!"

I felt terrible at that moment.

I had lost Annie. She would never talk to me again.

The protective, antisocial layer she stayed under was beginning to crack open, and now I had just fixed it back up again. That had been my main priority from the start.

To crack open the wall between us. Shatter it in a billion tiny pieces. Tell her it will be okay. Promise her. And now I had gone and said that.

She had just bailed my friends out of jail. In the sad silence, my voice was high and trembling.

"Why would Annie do that?"

Eren bit his lip. Sasha hesitated.

"You, Armin."

"What?"

"She's helping us, to help you. I'm sorry for what I did. I really am Armin. I never thought that would happen, and it did. And I'm sorry. Annie was protecting you."

"Why was she protecting me though?"

"Isn't it obvious Armin? Its clear to me now, now that I know your backstory with her."

"What?"

Eren looked at Mikasa, who looked at Sasha. Sasha sighed, looking up at me and nodding. They all looked so upset and sympathetic. Eren stepped forward.

"If I put it simply, she's in love with you."