Fifteen

Christmas was over, and being the happy idiot I was, I had forgotten all about the dreaded New Year party. After having a great Christmas at home with the family, everything seemed great, until Eren came knocking at the door a few days after with ideas and plans.

I remember last year, and how drunk Jean got. At least the only ones invited are our closest friends. I couldn't imagine how strangers would behave.

The party had kept me so distracted, I almost forgot about Annie. How was her Christmas? Was she having fun? Was she happy, safe? The temptation to visit her was unreal.

One morning, though, with days until new year, my parents were busy in the garden, and Eren and Mikasa were visiting relatives. I was bored, and needed to get out. So I went to the park that wasn't too far away. It was just a different scenery. I loved the place, big, green and spacious, with a play park in one corner, some tennis courts in another, loads of paths and flowers, a pond and benches all around. The trails were endless. We used to come here a lot when we were younger to play.

I found my favourite path that followed the river on the other side of the park that I followed until reaching the end and turning back. As I did so, though, I saw some shadows coming my way. Then around the corner, a young women dressed in a thick coat was racing ahead of the other person.

"This is a beautiful path!" I heard her say. "You were right about this one Annie!" Then my heart fluttered, as she came around the corner, in a thick, expensive coat and a scarf wrapped around her neck. Her head raised up as she noticed someone walk towards her.

"Armin!"

"Hey, fancy finding you here!"

"We were just taking a walk. This is Jen, my.. Umm, maid." She muttered that last part, and I helped her by just nodding happily.

"You don't mind if I join you?" I asked rather suddenly. Annie's eyes widened, and so did her thankful smile.

"No, please." I walked with them through to another path, a longer one that circled the whole park. It was slightly awkward walking next to her, just listening to Jen talk. It wasn't until about half an hour later, though, that she stopped next to a turning that lead to the road.

"Right, I have some errands that need attending to. I'll love and leave you. You can walk home, right?"

"Yes. No problem," Annie answered. "I'll be fine." I saw her glance slightly over at me. Jen didn't notice, and smiled.

"Pleasure meeting you Armin! See you soon, okay?"

"Okay, bye Jen."

She walked off, and we were left in silence for a bit. I helped clear the tension.

"How was your Christmas?"

Annie shuffled, hesitating before nodding. "It was alright. I mean, I've had better, obviously. But my aunt spent the whole day with me. I got a lot of presents I guess."

"So, okay then? Not too bad?"

"No, I guess not. But I was waiting for you to call me."

I blushed at that sudden comment. Its true I said I'd call, but her disappointed face really made me feel guilty. "Oh... Umm.."

"It's alright! I didn't think you would. Good Christmas?"

I coughed. "Yeah, not bad. Just us three, it was nice."

"Good... I hate our little small talk, you know."

"Oh, same!"

"We sound like old people who don't really want to talk to each other."

"I know right! That's so true. Oh, god its cold!" I stepped up and down on the stop, rubbing my hands together.

"Its lunchtime. There's a tearoom down the road there. Its really nice there. Hungry?"

"Actually, yeah. I'll just need to run home and get some mon-"

"Don't be stupid, I'll pay," Annie fussed. "Lets go."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Look, its the least I can do." She was already walking towards the street. I chuckled, and caught up with her.

"Alright..."

We walked down the busy road towards the little tearoom, finding a nice table for two at the back. It was warm and cosy inside.

Annie smiled. "I haven't been here in a while actually."

"Does that make me special?"

"Yeah, why not. You're the first. Appreciate it."

"I do," I laughed. The waitress came over to take orders. We both had hot chocolates, then I ordered a toasty while Annie had a sandwich.

"So..."

"Yeah."

"Thanks for joining me, I actually think Jen was trying to bore me even more. I'm glad you were here."

"Same to you."

After a few minutes, and receiving our food, we eat in silence. The door opened, sending in a cold gush of wind, sending us both shivering. Then I heard some fast footsteps.

"Armin! Oh, well, hello Annie! What have we here!?" Even with my back to her, I knew it was Sasha. Annie was looking away, red, and I was frozen.

"Oh, hey Sash. We just bumped into each other in the park. It was cold, you know."

"Oh, yeah, sure. Don't worry. I'm with my sister and her friend. Mind if I join?" She gestured to a free chair on an empty table next to us. I looked at Annie, who was playing with her food. She looked up and gave a nod.

"Of course you can!" I answered swiftly. She grinned, sitting down on the edge of the small table.

"So, how are you guys!? I know from you Armin, but what about you Annie?"

"I'm alright. You?"

"I'm great. Nice little shopping trip! Oh, and Armin, I need to ask you something important." She leaned in to tell us something, completely including Annie in it, who looked a bit confused at first before ducking her head closer to hear Sasha whisper.

"Who you kissing on new year?" My head shot right up.

"That's what you wanted to ask?"

"No! No! I was asking because I want you to tell Connie he should kiss me, but he'd only do it if you kissed Mina or someone!" She blushed lightly, scowling.

"Right. Why cant you tell him yourself?"

"I cant do that Armin! I'll chicken out! No way!"

"Well, I don't know. Besides Mina wouldn't kiss me. She's probably kissing Thomas or someone."

"Well then. What do you think Annie?"

"Well, I think you want to do more than just peck him at midnight. You should just ask him out. Its obvious... Obvious you like him."

She stuttered at that bit, and looked into my eyes before flickering them away. Was I picturing that? Or did that actually just happen?

Sasha nodded slowly, reasoning her opinion. "I dunno. I guess I prefer him to ask me, you know?"

"Yeah."

This time I was almost certain she looked back, straight into my eyes.