Twenty

"I love you Annie Leonhardt."

My blood ran cold. My heartbeat increased. I stood completely still, processing everything in my head. Armin stood there, at the bottom of my staircase, watching desperately for an answer. All I could do was let the tears fall, ignoring him completely.

What was I going to say? I couldn't answer that now. I couldn't, what would he say?

"Please answer me Annie," Armin whispered. I bit my lip, closing my eyes, staring at nothing.

It seemed he wasn't going to leave.

Something inside of me was grateful. What he had just said a few minutes ago. Everything he had picked up about me. Every little detail that I'd never expect anyone to know about. But he knew, and that is what made the biggest difference.

I took a deep breath. I was shaking, lost for the right words to say.

"I... I..." Was all I could manage before the tears fell.

"I'm sorry," Armin whispered again. I just looked away. "Why are you crying?" He asked worriedly.

I didn't answer. I couldn't find the right words to say.

"I'll leave if you want me too. I can leave you all alone and never talk to you again if that'll make you happier." I heard footsteps. For the first time since he arrived, I looked forward, catching his eye.

Armin looked back up, distressed. I was trying to keep everything in. Hide in my crystal.

It didn't work.

My knees fell to the floor, my head in my hands.

"I think you should go," I whispered. He just started to walk up the stairs.

"Leave!" I yelled. He stopped, clearly upset. I couldn't look anymore, and closed my wet eyes.

"Annie..."

"P-please Armin. I don't want to see you," I stated bluntly. Its as if I had just shot him with an arrow. He turned away, and rushed down to the door. But he didn't leave immediately. His hand was on the doorknob as he looked back. I remained like I was. He sighed.

"Annie, please..."

"Go! Just leave me alone," I managed.

I heard the door open. After a minute or so, Armin gave up, and I heard it close behind him. The whole house was sitting in a depressing darkness as I just sat there. Thinking about nothing and everything at the same time.

A few more minutes passed of just sitting there, acting pathetic, Jen opened a door downstairs, to one side of the staircase where she couldn't see me. I wobbled onto my feet, and ran to my bedroom, closing the door behind me. The window was open, and I ran towards it. I could see Armin walking away from the house.

My tears fell even more. He was right there, slipping away from my reach. And I just let him go. I sat weakly, crying on the window sill. I was too pathetic

I couldn't face it. I couldn't bring myself to believe it. It echoed around my head, whispered in my ear. The voice of reality.

I love Armin Arlert.