Two

"Hey Annie?"

"Yeah?"

"Umm, it was nice meeting you."

Annie stopped outside the old house. "Umm, thanks Armin. I-I'll see you around. Oh yeah." She passed me my coat back. Smiling slightly, she turned back to the door.

"Bye Annie. I'll see you soon." I smiled politely, before turning away to leave. I could still feel her eyes staring at me from behind.

"Hey, Armin?" She called. I span back around.

"Yeah?"

"Umm, thanks. So much. I needed company, and  you gave it to me. I'll never forget that. Thank you."

I smiled. "Its no problem. It was the least I could do. Bye Annie."

"Bye Armin." I started walking away from the house, and to my surprise, I didn't hear the door open until I'd turned the corner out of sight.

* * *

"Oh Armin, you're soaking!" My mother fussed. "Come on. Lets get you changed." I ran upstairs to my bedroom, quick to take off the miserable black suit. As I did, I peered through the window, into the grey early evening. The funeral finished at three, and it was now almost six. I'd taken longer than I thought. With Annie Leonhardt of all people. I sighed as the rain poured. Not exactly what I'd expect on an August day.

I'd just spent the afternoon in the rain, in a graveyard with Annie Leonhardt. The girl I barely knew, only, I felt like I had to be there for her. If no one else would be, someone had to be. And I felt like a magnet, like I had to be next to her. It was my duty, my role, to be beside her in every tough time. And I wanted to be there, her shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold.

I can't help this feeling.

The feeling of falling in love.

But my thoughts were interrupted by my mother calling me downstairs.

"Armin sweetheart, dinner!"

I made my way downstairs. My father was at the dinner table and mother was serving the plates. I sat opposite my father, my hair still dripping slightly.

"It was a nice thing, what you did to that girl today Armin. We're very proud."

"Oh, it was nothing. Just helping a friend."

My mother came over, placing the food on the table and kissing my cheek. "Oh Armin. We'll miss you when you go to school."

I smiled. I was lucky to have really great parents, who loved me, cared for me, were proud of me. It made me feel even worse about Annie, and the urge to run over and hug her was eating away in my thoughts.

After dinner, a knock came from the door. My mother went over to answer it, and as soon as it opened, my best friend Eren came running in.

"Armin! Sorry to intrude like thus Mr and Mrs Arlert."

"Oh, no worries Eren. Go on you two."

We ran up to my bedroom, plumping onto my bed.

"Where have you been all day? We came over and you weren't there!"

"Sorry. I should have rung. But I was at a funeral all day. Sorry."

"Oh.. Who died?"

"Mr and Mrs Leonhardt. You wouldn't know them. He was in the police and she was a lawyer. Car crash."

"Oh. And you were invited because...?"

"My dad worked closely with him."

"Oh. Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't know."

"No problem. Its not your fault."

"God I hate funerals." Eren leaned down on the bed, stretching. "Well, my friend. To add to the depressing vibe, you need to get ready for school on Monday."

"Already done that." I pointed at the big suitcase in the corner of the room. Eren smirked.

"If only I was as organised as you."

"Well, I'll come over tomorrow and help if it means that much to you."

"Really!? Thanks pal!"

"Its alright."

"So its gonna be great this year. Only three of us in a room! You, me and Connie. Feels good to be in fifth year, doesn't it?"

"Yeah yeah, but there's still millions of exams to think of."

"Armin, chill. They aren't till the end of the year. Besides, we've got loads of fun things to do yet."

"Alright Eren."

We stayed talking and watching films until ten, when it started getting dark. Having Eren here made me forget about todays happenings. But as soon as he left, that same feeling in my stomach ached to see how Annie was doing right now.