Nine

"Armin! What's wrong?" Connie snickered.

I snapped out again. "Nothing. Hey, I'll see you in a minute. I need to get something, from the library."

"Oh. Okay. Hurry before Eren comes back. I'll come with you if you want."

"No, no. I might take a while. It'll be boring. Thanks anyway. I'll see you." I left the room, and sped down the corridor. It was after school now, and Eren and a few others had gone to town, while Connie and I stayed in the room. I was sitting on the window sill, when I saw her walking out from the building holding a book, walking towards the trees.

I needed to talk to Annie. She needed to know that she's not alone in this world. I'm determined to change her life, and make her happy again.

I started towards her, sitting alone reading her book under the tree. The wind blew, and I cursed myself for not bringing a coat. There wasn't a lot of people outside.

"Annie?"

She turned, looking straight into my eyes. "Hi Armin," she almost whispered. "Sit?"

Surprised at her reaction, I sat down next to her. She grabbed her legs to her chest, the book placed to one side.

"I'm sorry about this morning. It was unfair of me to just shout like that." I stared at the floor. She hesitated, staring in the sane direction.

"Hey, its fine. I shouldn't have been so mean. I never answered your question."

"Oh yeah?"

"Okay. Look, you're kind and smart, and you have loads of friends. I don't want you giving that up for me. I'm a depressing and antisocial person. I don't want you getting upset, and I certainly don't want you wasting time on me. I said, I'd much rather be alone. I don't want to hurt you Armin."

I listened quietly. My answer was simple. "And I don't want to be leave you."

She stopped, thinking carefully before hesitating. "You don't have to waste your life on me. Honest. You have friends."

"Sasha asked after you today at lunch. She said you're cool, and she wants to know you better. So does Mina and even Mikasa looked intrigued," I desperately added. This was true.

"I don't like people. Especially big groups of people. I don't want to know."

She stared into the distance. "Hey, I like talking to you."

"You- that's different."

"Is it? I chose to join you that day in the graveyard, I chose to come here now. You're a good person Annie."

The last thing I expected to happen happened next. Tears fell down her face. She stood up. The rain started to pour. "I'm glad I could be a good person to you Armin. But I need to be alone."

And just like that, she walked off into the rain. I stepped forward, but she had gone into the grey distance before I could get to her. She had left her book in the dryness under the tree. I opened the first page. It was slightly worn and very fragile, but clearly on the first page, were the words:

Happy birthday sweetheart! We love you so much! We promise one day you will do great things like the people in this book. We will always look out for you, forever! Lets go on adventures like these some day! Enjoy! Love, mum and dad xx

I noticed tear stains over that page as well. An old book from her father, given to her at a young age. Only now is she reading it, only now am I really realising the sadness of it all. I remember Mrs Leonhardt's kind eyes, her motherly, happy expression. Mr Leonhardt and his jokes, his stories and constant optimism. They've gone, leaving their sad and broken daughter alone.

I need to find her right now. To be the light she's lost.