Ten

I circled the school for about an hour with no luck. She must have gone somewhere further away. I eventually gave up, finding a bench just to clear my thoughts a bit. It was drizzling lightly with rain, so I could barely notice my hair getting wetter.

After a while, I looked at the clock. It was almost five. There was one place I knew Annie could be, but I didn't want to interrupt. She'd want that time alone.

Eventually, I gave up, and started making my way back to the bedroom building. The wind blew violently, and the book in my hand flew open to the most turned-to page. The first female world expedition, with the title "anything is possible. Even in your darkest moments, you only need to turn on the light." Stoping to read it, I noticed in pencil Annie had circled different places and some things the woman did, and annotated notes on what she'd do if she visited these countries.

The whole book symbolised how the stories and promises her parents had made if going and doing places had all been ruined by the dirty and worn pages, only kept alive by Annie.

Her little world was a dark one. But one she shouldn't live through on her own, and one where she needs someone to show her the light. Something is urging me to be that person, and now more than any day I want to be with her.

I want to hold her hand, hug her, kiss her. I want her to love me as much as I love her.

"Annie!" I resorted to, shouting her name loudly out into the nothingness. "Annie! Where are you?" Finally, after no answer, I gave it a shot.

"I know you're out there. Please. Do you remember when we were eleven and we made a promise that we would be friends forever? I want to be here for you. You should not be going through things alone. My end of the deal isn't broken. I don't know about yours, but, I hope you remember anyway."

I heard some footsteps coming from behind me. I snapped around to see if she was there.

But it wasn't her. It was Eren.

"We need to talk I think," he stated calmly. He had heard everything. He was out trying to find me, and saw me reading the book and shouting at someone, hearing it all. We went back to the room, just the two of us, and I told him everything; from how we knew each other when we were younger to the funeral and now. The whole time Eren sat there listening quietly, nodding and occasionally asking some questions.

"Well what are you waiting for Armin? Go on, go and find her."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Go. I'll tell the guys you've gone to the library or something."

"Alright. I will Eren. Thanks."

"Its alright. Be there for her."

And once again I found myself again running outside to find her, this time with a coat on.

There was one place that she could be. Desperately debating whether to do it, my heart took over and I ran down from the school to the bus stop. Half an hour later, I was back in my town. Running straight past my house without looking at it, down the side street to a path that lead to the back of the graveyard. And there I found her, drenched, her bottom lip quivering as she knelt there crying at the two matching graves. I stood behind a tree, listening to her silent, desperate whispers.

"Help me. I can't live by myself. I need you both to be here. I cant go on like this. I don't know what to do. How am I meant to carry on? No one understands. Armin is dragging himself into my world and all I can do is push him away. I'm terrified. I don't want him to suffer because I'm suffering. Please help."

I was speechless listening to her heart melt out in the form of words to people who couldn't help her anymore. Her soft, angry, tearless cries were killing me. Rain poured harder. She had no coat, no umbrella. Nothing was looking after her.

I moved from behind the tree, walking hesitantly towards her, and taking off my coat. She had her head in her hands, and didn't notice me until I had put the coat over her.

"Armin? What are you doing here?"

"To make sure you're alright. I found you, and I'm never going to loose you again."

"I-I don't know what to say."

"Look, you might feel like you're dragging me down into your world. But you're not. You really aren't. I want to be with you, and help you. I will be the one to take you on adventures. And as long as I live on this earth I will make sure you are happy. Because I made a promise to be your friend. And I'm not giving that up. You may think you live in your own world of depression, but there is a door into that world that I'm not going to close. You deserve happiness Annie Leonhardt. And I will make that happen."

She sat there crying. I knelt down next to her. She was staring emotionless at the floor.

"Y-you remembered that promise?"

"I remember that everyday. Ever since I spotted you over there."

The tears kept rolling down her face. I examined the gravestones carefully, sighing sadly. Annie sneezed. I pulled her towards me, and hugged her slowly. Her head in my chest, we stayed like that for a long while. Never did she move away or hesitate, only shifting nearer and nearer.

"Thank you so much. If I don't mention it enough, then I'm sorry. But thank you so much. For being there for me." She shivered violently. I sighed a deep breath.

"You don't need to thank me. Ever again. I'm just doing what I feel is necessary." We stayed in the same place for some more minutes, when Annie sat up and saw how wet I had gotten.

"A-Armin! You're f-freezing!"

"Lets go. It's late." I stood up. She stayed seated for a minute longer, turning to her parents graves.

"Goodbye guys. I'll be back soon, okay?" She whispered. She got up. As I started walking towards the path, she called my name back.

"Armin?"

"Yeah?" I swirled back around.

"Hold my hand? Please?"

My eyes flared open. In the dark, she looked mysterious and angry. But I knew the truth behind that look, and I walked back to receive her hand. It was cold, but soft.

"Alright, shall we go?" I asked. She took one last look back, before breathing out deeply.

"Yeah. Lets go."

The whole journey she never let go of my hand. By the time we arrived back in the campus, it was extremely dark, and the sleep bell had been sounded. Careful not to get caught, we went through the back next to the trees, and up to the building. Once we got in, we stopped.

"Umm, so, I suppose I'll see you at breakfast?" I said, half-smiling.

Annie hesitated. "Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow Armin."

I squeezed her hand and let go. We walked in silence upstairs until we reached my dormitory.

"No no, let me walk you back to your room." I decided before reaching it. Annie nodded, and we proceeded upstairs. Reaching her room, she got out her key but didn't open the door. Pausing there, she turned back around and we locked eye contact.

"Night Armin. And thank you. You really are an amazing person."

"Good night Annie. Thank you. I'm here for you any time. Remember that."

"I promise," she whispered.

"So do I," I answered. That was the second time we'd made a promise. And I was never planning on breaking it.

Quick A/N: Sorry this chapter took so long! I re-did it literally ten times, each with different possible endings. But this story still has a long way to go and I can't wait to write and I'm so happy you enjoy it! Much love, Cat xx