Chapter 4

Jacob was early for his shift for once and of course Connie was, as usual, so he thought now might be a good time to ask her why she broke up with him.
"Connie"
"It's Mrs Beauchamp"
"Sorry...Why did you break up with me?"
"What?"
"Well you haven't given me an explanation yet and I figured I deserve one"
"Look Jacob it just wasn't going to work out between us, okay?"
"No, not okay, was it for him? Cos from the conversation I heard yesterday I don't think it could be him so what is it then?"
"What conversation?"
"The one where Grace said what he did"
"Look, can we not talk about this now..."
Grace then emerged at the door back from school and came in to do her homework.
"How are you firecracker?"
"Fine" Grace replied bluntly . Jacob looked at Connie and could see she was hurting. That was why she left him because of Grace. He thought that she might've taken a while to get used to the fact that they were together but he didn't think she would react like this. His shift was about to start so he left the room quietly and started to work.

Grace could see how unhappy both Connie and Jacob had been since they had broken up. "You love him don't you mum?"
"Who darling?"
"Jacob" Connie paused but Grace knew what that silence meant. "I take it back. I want you to be with Jacob."
"Grace that's not going to happen we've already broken up."
"Then get back together. Look, I would much rather you be with Jacob and be happy than be unhappy and alone."
Connie looked out the window at Jacob who was treating a patient but something was different about him. He wasn't cracking jokes like normal or making the patient laugh like he usually did. Grace followed her mums gaze. "He loves you too y'know."
"No Gracie, he..." "Yes he does. Look how unhappy he is cos you broke up with him. Do I always have to state the blinding obvious?" She went off to the toilet and spotted Jacob on the way back reading some patients notes at the nurses station.
"I made a mistake."
"What?" Jacob asked as he looked up from the notes confused.
"I told mum to break up with you because I thought that she would have less time for me but I've only just realised that she was with you before I came back and she still had time for me then, I was wrong. I'm sorry."
"Woah, slow down there firecracker."
"No, you need to go and tell mum you love her or I will."
"Grace how did you..."
"I'm smart I know these things. I also happen to know that she loves you too."
"No she doesn't."
"Yes she does she admitted it to me"
"But what about that Michael guy?"
"She hates Michael, he was in her past and your her future. Please."
"When did you get so smart eh firecracker?"
"Well, I learnt from the best. So go and tell her you love her and want to be with her."
Jacob paused for a minute looking at Connie working before replying with "Ok, wish me luck."
"You don't need it."