10.

"I am so glad I can put up the video now. I know the viewers have been waiting patiently since you put out the video about us taking a small break," Toby said as he edited Jace and Emery's cover of Almost Is Never Enough by Ariana Grande and Nathan Sykes.

"Yeah. I think we should do a different intro since they had to wait a few weeks,"  Jace said.

"That's a good idea. Well we need to get Emery over here then," Toby said.

"Hopefully she's free because she's been moving her stuff into her new apartment all week," he said and started texting Emery.

"How do you know she's been moving her stuff all week?" Toby asked, looking away from his laptop.

"She's been calling me to help her move stuff and we've been having lunch and stuff," he replied.

"And does Mads know about that?" Toby asked, an eyebrow raised.

"No, she doesn't. I don't think it's that big of a deal. Me and Emery are just friends," Jace said and set his phone down.

"Okay, man. Whatever you say," he said and turned back to his laptop. "What did Em say?"

"She said she can't make it today, she's available tomorrow. She also asked how you are doing," Jace said.

"Tomorrow should work out fine, but we have work. So maybe we could do it on our lunch breaks in that park across the street from the store," Toby said.

"So we're gonna bring all the equipment to work with us?" Jace asked.

"Not everything. Just a camera and a mic. It shouldn't take long," Toby said.

"Okay. You feel like going to get food in a little while? I'm starting to get hungry," Jace said.

"Yeah. We could call the girls and see if Emery wants to join us," Toby said.

"So you're raising eyebrows at me and Emery eating lunch alone and then you invite her out with us? Wow, T," Jace said. "And she just said she's busy today."

"Jeez. Sorry, I won't invite her," Toby said. Jace turned away and started walking towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Toby asked.

"To call Madison and invite the girls for lunch," he said then walked outside. Jace went to Madison's name in his phone and called her.

"Hey, sweetie. What's up?" Madison said when she answered the phone.

"Hey, babe. Me and Toby are going out for lunch later and we wanted to invite you and Meredith," Jace said

"I'll be done with my shoot in about forty-five minutes. Mere said she's not feeling good today. So, I'll come to lunch, but I don't know about Mere," she said.

"If she can't come, you think we should invite Emery, so T won't feel like a third wheel? She said she's busy today, but I can still ask." he asked.

"Sure. Emery is so fun. I haven't talked to her in weeks. I gotta go now, babe. See you at lunch. Love you," she said.

"Love you more. I'll text you where we're eating," he said and hung up. He dialed Emery's number.

"Sup, Jace," she said.

"Hey, Em. You wanna go out to lunch with me, Madison, and Toby?" he asked.

"Sounds fun, but I can't. Sorry," she said.

"Why not?" he asked, curious.

"I would tell you, but it would make things weird, so I'm not telling you. I'll talk to you later," she said and hung up on Jace. Jace looked at his phone with a confused expression on his face. He walked back into Toby's apartment.

"That was so weird," he muttered to himself.

"What?" Toby asked.

"I called Em to invite her to lunch with us and she said she couldn't. So I asked her why and she said she couldn't tell me because it would make things weird and hung up on me. What do you think it is?" he asked then sat down.

"She probably likes you, dude," Toby said.

"Really? I wouldn't expect that from her," Jace said.

"Dude, you're good looking, and you keep helping her do stuff, and you sing good. If I was gay, I'd be all over you too," Toby said.

"Do you think she's getting the wrong idea about me helping her do stuff?"

"Probably. But I think Emery knows you're just trying to be friendly."

"I'm gonna talk to her about it the next time I see her."

"Don't do that. You're gonna scare her away from her only friends here."

"I have to, T. What if we're here assuming she likes me, but she's just doing something weird and doesn't want us to know about it."

"Fine. Talk to her. We'll see who's right." Toby said, making Jace raise his eyebrows.

"Is that a challenge? Are you making a bet?" he asked.

"Yup. You have to give me enough money to buy a new guitar of my choice if she likes you," Toby said.

"Alright then. If she doesn't like me then you have to a big ass bouquet of expensive roses for Madison and say they're from me," Jace said.

"Dude, we are the least cool people I have ever met. Literally we would do those things for each other anyway," Toby said.

"You're right. So it's a bet?" Jace said and held his hand out to Toby.

"Yeah. It's a bet," he said and shook Jace's hand.

******************************
thanks for reading!
vote & comment
ilysm