Colorless Sunset

It was about to get worse.

The day went by and I wasted it lying in bed, staring at the ceiling.

It's almost like I picked up right where I left off on the first day of summer.

It sounds funny, but trust me, it's not.

Not when there's a possibility of me falling asleep on the first day of summer and waking up now, making all of it just a dream.

Like what, Jess isn't real? That I could forget her like some distant dream as one usually does?

As if.

But think about it. Could you remember what you dreamed about yesterday? There's a chance you might.

How about the day before that? And before that? And even the one before that?

What you dreamt about last week? Can you remember?

No.

But I'm going to remember Jess. I made her a promise.

This necklace will be living proof of that.

My Miss J.

It would make a terrible story if I said how I got up for lunch and fell back to bed right after.

But that is what I did. I was lost.

Wait.

That song she sang. The one she told me to listen to. What was it?!

I remember.

I placed my earphones to my ear. I listened to the first beats of the song, like those of a heart. The vocals are low and the melody is somber.

I hadn't noticed my tears drop as he got to the chorus.

If you love me, let me go.

I still hear her voice.

I hear her as I fell asleep.

And I hear her as I dream.

But as I said, a distant dream from the past is hard to recall, sometimes they are forgotten even after just waking up.

And as I retell it, at this point I no longer recall.

I woke up in time for the sunset. With Jess by my side, it looked Vibrant. Colorful. Tangy. Rich.

Looking at the empty neighborhood now, the empty house across the street and the setting sun,

It looked the same.

I mean, it didn't look the same as when she was there. I mean, ig did, but it didn't.

It looked the same.

As it had finally rested and the last of its light faded away came the night.

I didn't want to turn on any of the lights.

I wanted the hurt to end.

I want to forget it happened, but I can't. I have a promise to keep.

Hello Darkness, my old friend.