2. Dinner is not for Winners

It's almost dark and apparently I have plans to meet the neighbours

It's almost dark and apparently I have plans to meet the neighbours. I really don't want to meet the neighbours. I just want to sleep.

I tip toe my way down the stairs, hoping that if I'm quiet enough, then I'll be small enough and if I'm small enough, they won't even see me, let alone make me go to some stupid dinner.

I stop at the landing when I hear voices. They're emanating from the kitchen. Do I go in or –

"Alex, I thought I told you to be nice to her." A voice rushes. Ashley.

There's a scoff before, "That was me being nice."

"Alex," she warns, exasperated, "She is your sister and she has been through a lot. Don't make her feel like she's only won the battle."

Well, I wouldn't say I'm winning, but...

You know what? Stuff it. I'm growing some balls. Before Alex can finish his sentence, I swing through the doorway. I am the happy happy happy Victoria you all remember from before the divorce, before the jumping, before the funeral.

"Heyo," I grin in this incredibly sombre scene. Ink is sprouting up between the floorboards and everyone is staring at me and suddenly this doesn't sound like such a good idea anymore. I'm ready to turn around. "Let's pretend this never happened," I mutter, only loud enough for myself to hear.

"So Tori, these two," Ashley points tentatively at the boys, "Won't be joining us for dinner. Unfortunately." She adds. She's changed out of the pant suit into a strapless black dress. She has a coffee in her hand.

I look to the boys, only just registering what she's said. "What?" I'm officially panicking, "Why not? You guys were supposed to be my leeway."

Adam sighs and Alex tighten his jaw. Smiles tightly. What's his problem?

"Tutoring."

"Football game."

My eyes brighten at the idea and I turn to Ashley, pleading eyes on full attention. "Can I go to the game? Please? It'll be a great way to meet people before school and –"

"Vic, we agreed. Come on, we better get going." Dad pushes past all of us. He's a small guy, but man does he wear the pants in this household. His word is the last word. Always.

Ashley raises her manicured eyebrows at me in apology and I deflate. I nod goodbye to the guys. Before I get out into the hallway, someone takes me by the wrist and spins me into an embrace. Adam, I instantly assume.

"Alex?" I pull away ever so slightly. Alex doesn't hug me. Alex barely talks to me.

He smears a tight, fake grin all over his tanned complexion. His honey coloured eyes are void of any emotion when he says, "Welcome home, Victoria."

Somehow I muster a polite smile even though I cannot tell you how much this hurts, how insulting this is, how repulsed I am. They are forcing my brothers to be nice to me. Why? Because of what happened.