9. Bring it On

According to Hershey's, I am a family of four

I think that I'm just a very impatient girl waiting for someone who is taking their sweet time.

I invited Katherine over. Please, Ashley and dad won't even notice her here, not with all the boys making such a ruckus. Actually, they've toned it down since I exited half an hour ago.

I guess sexual implications don't sit well with our steroid studs.

There's an abrupt knock at the door and I try to wipe the chocolate from around my mouth in the hopes that I don't look like the downgraded Cookie Monster. As soon as I mentioned the idea of a sleepover to Katherine, she was all for it and squealing my eardrum into submission on the other end of the line. It's a wonder she took so long getting here when she was dying to come over.

I open the front door wide and find a little blonde with a big bag filled with so much stuff it's almost tearing the seams. There is a glint in those hazel eyes that instantly warns me to keep her away from the stove, knifes, and the kitchen in general.

"I am so ready for tonight!" She clambers in, no invitation necessary, struggling to fit through the doorway whilst keeping everything intact. "We are going to have so much fun! I brought everything we need."

"No kidding." I huff as she slings her luggage onto the couch, inspecting the living room. Yes, it's pastels, pastels and more pastels, let's get over it people.

Content with the décor, she jumps onto the couch and begins listing everything we apparently need for sleepover success.

She has nail polish, face masks, ice cream, candy, popcorn, movies, magazines, colouring books, and the Hansen High yearbook. I'm sure there was a lot more, but I zoned out after about four seconds. The girl sure is organised.

"You do this a lot, huh?" I smile, flicking through the pages of Us Weekly.

"Actually..." at her nervous tone I glance up, "Not really. I don't do stuff like this much at all."

Katherine averts her eyes as she acutely inspects her cuticles. Oh.

I'd noticed at school that, even with her status, she didn't really seem all that close with anyone. Sure, they were all friendly, but she never had any actual friends to introduce me to. She knew everyone and everyone knew her. She was her yearbook picture, nothing more, nothing less.

Katherine Anderson is the head cheerleader, but I guess she isn't a part of the team.

In a desperate attempt to patch up the wound I'd reopened, I pick the ice cream tub from her bag. "Why don't the two of us become a Ben and Jerry's family of four?"

What can I say? It's my favourite sport.

"So they kicked you out?"