10. Here I Met a Gentleman

My head is pounding

My head is pounding. I got about three hours sleep last night and the boys practically waged war with us after the little horror movie scandal.

I thought we did pretty well. They did not.

We are talking late night backyard water fights with balloons that weren't filled with water. Disgusting, right? Every other balloon was filled with pee or milk, but most of the guys were gracious enough to actually miss when they threw them.

Most.

I don't even know how they summoned that amount of pee and milk in less than half an hour. I guess our prank was a little bit too extravagant.

But, whilst Dylan went after Katherine, I had both Alex and Mason aiming for my head. The gay jokes didn't sound like such a good idea anymore.

Flashback time.

How in the hell of it did a dozen boys fill three buckets of water balloons in twenty minutes? I know that there has got to be at least two dozen filled with urine. I think I'm going to throw up.

Katherine and I bolt out the back door and split up, trying to find a hiding place as not-so-water balloons explode at our feet.

There is something deeply wrong with the football team of Hansen High.

"Is that milk?" I squeal, dodging a well-aimed shot from Alex's arm. That was definitely pee. Damn him for being good at sport.

I cannot believe this. We pulled a tiny prank on them and they are pelting us with their bodily fluids. And cow bodily fluids. It seems like a wee bit of an overreaction (hahahapleasemakeitstop).

I lurch away from another aimed by Mason, though I'm a moment too slow. Oh, thank God it was just milk. All of the others are laughing and tossing the balloons half-heartedly, like decent human beings, though for Dylan, Alex, and Mason, it's personal.

Dylan is after Katherine and I'm thanking the Lord at the same time as begging for mercy. This isn't fair – two against one! And I'm unarmed.

I scramble to a nearby shrub and realise that our backyard isn't all that big. They're going to find us.

"Gotcha."

Oh, too late.

An arm spins me around and I come face to face with an extremely evil Donovan. Maybe if I play it cool, he'll let me go.

"I'm not Austen, loverboy." I grin, though at this he clenches his jaw. Wrong move. I just keep digging my grave deeper, don't I?

I can see the light, is that heaven?

Nope. It's milk. Popped on top of my head, soaking through my hair. Gross, but not nearly as bad as it could have been.

This must be payback, and it tastes like lactose. I open my eyes and he's grinning, blue eyes shimmering in the faint light. His golden ringlets make him look like a child, and that mischievous grin isn't doing much to help.