57. Beautifully Impatient

I trace patterns on Mason's chest as it steadily rises and falls

I trace patterns on Mason's chest as it steadily rises and falls. Inhales and exhales.

It's still early in the morning, and the weather has cleared up enough so that the sun is pouring over his face. His hair is sparkling with strands woven in gold and the skin over his cheeks is sun kissed and smooth.

At this point in time, I'm glad that he's such a heavy sleeper. It's nice when he's so peaceful like this. His eyelashes are a pale, brassy colour, a little lighter than the roots of his hair.

I stay well away from him, hoping that my lack of movement will prevent him from waking. The only contact I make is with one finger, making swirls on top of the skin on his bare chest. He's so warm. Even with the sun out, he's still the only warmth I feel.

It's Sunday morning and I think I heard Ashley and Alan go to work. Adam may have left also, but I can't be sure.

All of a sudden, three loud bangs explode from my door. Mason startles, sitting up quickly and observing his surroundings with wild, bright blue eyes.

"Tori, you want breakfast?" Alex calls gruffly from the other side. I don't think he's gotten the hang of the 'nice brother act'.

I try to steady my breathing so that my voice sounds completely normal. "Uuh, no thanks. I'll eat later." I throw a glance back to Mason, who looks completely shocked by his abrupt awakening.

There's a pause, "You sure?" I stare in horror as the doorknob twists slightly, and I hold my breath.

This is it. This is where my life ends. My short lived joy is going to be a lot shorter than I thought. Goodbye, Mason. It was nice knowing you.

It clicks.

I remembered to lock the door. Oh, praise the lord; I actually remembered to lock the door!

When the handle spins back around Alex says, "Alright." And then I hear thumping on the stairwell that fades below.

Mason and I exhale at the same time. I slump back, falling back and crashing into my pillow. That was exhausting.

"That was close," Mason croaks, voice still gravelly from the disuse. He lowers himself down beside me, on his side and me on my back. I stare at the wires strung above me.

"Good morning," I smile, tilting my head to face him but he's already staring. Blue eyes swimming in white sheets, focused on me like I'm not real, I am just a figment of his imagination that he's dreamed up.

"Hi." He mumbles shortly in reply, mind far away. A moment of silence passes before I furrow my eyebrows at his odd behaviour.

"What?" I ask slowly and his forehead creases with thought.

"You are," He takes a deep breath, "Very beautiful."

Instantly, my neck snaps back to the ceiling in an attempt to cover my blush. His voice sends shivers down my spine, and that's not even paired with the words.

I try to hum a tune in my mind to get my thoughts away from it, pretending he didn't just say that. He probably doesn't mean it. His brain is still scrambled from sleep.

"Hey," He mumbles, hand reaching out for my chin. "Hey."

When he successfully has me staring back at him I smile embarrassedly. "What?"

"You're beautiful." It's a statement set in cement, trying to persuade me. My cheeks feel even hotter.

"Whatever," I roll my eyes, but he's barely smiling in a completely serious manner.

"You are." He clips the words, eyebrows furrowing in annoyance.

"Whatever." I mock his tone. He growls before gently pressing his lips to mine, surprising me. He pulls on my bottom lip and I almost deflate completely in sighs.

His mouth isn't bitter from sleep like I'm certain mine is, but more sweet and tangy.

Does this guy sweat peaches?

Too quickly, he breaks away and I'm left grinning and he's trying to cover his smile with a serious expression. "You are beautiful, got it?"

I roll my eyes before nodding my head absentmindedly. Finally, his pearly white teeth are revealed in a huge beam and I find myself giggling at him.

He chuckles, pushing a few stray strands of hair from my eyes. "I've waited for this for so long,"

I raise an eyebrow at him, "Not that long." He kissed me just last week. Plus, he's only known me for four months or so.

He shrugs and scowls at me. "I'm impatient."

"Don't I know it," I tease and he gives me a crooked grin.

Biceps curl around me and I immediately levitate toward him, as he hooks his chin over my head. My face presses into the hollow of his neck and I kiss the velvet skin there. One of his hands tangle through my untamed locks.

"So," I ask, suddenly feeling a little confused. Not uncomfortable, confused. Never uncomfortable with Mason. "What now?"

I feel him smile against my hair, "Whatever you want."

I want you, I almost say, but decide against it. I don't want to sound like I'm completely desperate.

But you are.

"What do you want?" I mutter, words meshing together in dread. I don't want him to answer that question.

I can hear his heartbeat and it thumps four, five, eight times before he answers. But that may not be accurate, as it seems to be speeding up.

"I want you," He pulls back, my face in his palm. It definitely doesn't sound desperate coming from him. He gives me this half smile that's melting my heart and it is dripping hot wax on my skin, but his hands are cooling the sting.

Every eyelash is about to fall out because, you don't need our wishes anymore.

I'm going to be insomniac, because this is what I've been dreaming of for months. If I say this, there will be no point in dreaming anymore, when everything I want is the blue eyes and the pink lips and the hot temper right in front of me.

But I say it anyway. It's worth losing those things for him.

"You have me."

****************************************

Yeeeeeeeh, what do you guys think?

I have a confession to make... There's only 2 chapters to go. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I should have warned you guys sooner, but I was so happy with this ^ stuff going on that I didn't want to face reality.

I just want to take a minute to thank every single one of you for your time and dedication to The Renovation Complication, though I'm pretty sure there's only like 10 of you. BUT 10 PEOPLE READING WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN? THAT'S AMAZING!

I can't believe that my second story is almost over, and I don't think I should come up with another one for a while, otherwise I am going to FAIL my senior education.

But if you object, tell me. ;)

Please don't forget to vote/comment/share this story on your social media. <3

I will love you for it.

HEY GUYS, JUST REMINDING YOU THAT I HAVE PUBLISHED A POETRY BOOK AND AM SUPER EXCITED ABOUT IT - GO CHECK IT OUT www.lulu.com/shop/eva-hale/doors-to-nowhere/paperback/product-23304153.html