52. Peace Offerings

The moment I walk into my room I know there's something I'm missing. I dump my bag on the carpet, place the picture frame gently on the bedside table and try to find what's scratching at the back of my head.

A cool, wet breeze comes in through the open window and I shiver. It's going to rain soon. I wrap my arms around my torso and shuffle to close the hole in the wall.

And then I see it.

A lightbulb flashes above my head as I come closer to the silhouetted object on the windowsill and I almost burst out laughing. There are two things, one rather bulkier than that beneath it. The first surprise is a complete box set of Spongebob Squarepants and the other is a novel.

My breath hitches as I read the title.

Wuthering Heights. This was mom's favourite book.

"That's the book you were holding when I first saw you." The deep voice makes me jump out of my skin. Until I hear him laugh. Then I just scowl out the window.

"You could knock first," I snap and he rolls his eyes.

"I'm in my room, not yours."

"Looks to me like you're in a tree, actually." I reply smartly. I'm pretty pleased with my sass until he nods, considering, before clambering out of the tree and into my room. "Mason,"

"You're right." He announces smugly, "Now I'm in your room." I groan at his idiocy.

"What are you doing?" I ask wearily and I see his smug demeanour fade a bit.

His blue eyes flicker quickly to the objects in my hand and bells ring in my head. Oh, you idiot. He's trying to make piece.

Instead of forcing a reply out of him, I muse, "Where did you even buy all of this Spongebob?"

He grins, "In the Infant Entertainment section of Target."

"Oh, shut up." I laugh and smack him in the shoulder. What I don't say is that I already own probably half of this collection. He doesn't need to know that. 

Hold the phone. I'm meant to be angry at this twerp. And you may think that I'm mad now, but the truth is, I'm only slightly annoyed and even a little amused. Angry Tori is a different story.

Something twinges in my face, forcing my uncooperative lips to twist into a smile. I'm trying to hold everything against him, I really am. But it's just so hard when he's making me laugh and buys me that book and he's almost apologising.

And almost is about as close as I'll get with Mason.

"So...?" He raises his golden eyebrows, lips pinched together. I open my mouth to answer, but he interrupts me. "Listen, I'm not asking you to be my friend, or even be happy about my being here." He shrugs, "Just let me finish your room. After all, it is our project. And it's painful watching you try to do this stuff. Have you ever touched a power tool in your life?"

No.

I roll my eyes. "Fine." I draw out the vowel, watching his eyes light up.

He grins, blue irises flashing in the grey sunlight. "I'll be here first thing tomorrow morning to... fix whatever happened there." He points to the lights that I tried to hang and I narrow my eyes.

They are terribly done, but how dare he?

He smirks at my scowl and slips out of the window for the umpteenth time, winking before practically floating across the branches that connect his room to my own. The first and last time I ever did that, I almost plummeted to my death.

Well, I guess this means I'll be cancelling work tomorrow. Again.

******************

Really short chapter, but I've written all afternoon and will update in about 1 minute. Sorry if they're really crappy quality, but headache is pounding and I've been writing so long, I can't even proofread anything. :P