56. Spell it Out for Me

"I literally spelled it out for you, but no," Mason waves his arms around in irritation, "You think it spells out a vegetable

"I literally spelled it out for you, but no," Mason waves his arms around in irritation, "You think it spells out a vegetable."

"Peas are a legume." I correct him, though I don't think it helps at all.

He rubs his temples and I switch on the Christmas lights, just so I can see when he's going to attack.

"What does it say?" I ask slowly and his aquamarine eyes flash open.

It appears that Mr Donovan is growing a little impatient with me. He sighs, "'Please'. It says 'please'."

I shake my head at him. "You need a lesson in spelling, because the only letters I saw there were..." My mouth closes as my brain calls it various names that I'd rather not repeat. "'Please'?"

He throws a hand back in his hair that's dampened from the rain outside, about to respond. But my ability to screw up everything butts in.

"Please forgive you? You bought me eight seasons of Spongebob, I'm pretty sure that means you're forgiven."

"Tori –"

"I mean, we finished the room, so I guess we can say there's no hard feelings."

"Vic –"

"And –"

"Victoria!" We both seem to realise his volume at the same moment, tensing and staring at the door for what seems like an eternity until we're sure that the raindrops are the only thing awake.

"What?" I hiss at him and he rubs his jaw.

"It's not please forgive me," he says dumbly and I refrain from scowling. "It's..."

"Spit it out."

"Give me a chance." He snaps and I do. I stay silent for him to continue, but he doesn't say anything more, just stares at me expectantly.

I raise my eyebrows, "You gonna tell me or not?"

He groans in response before, "It's please give me a chance."