25. Forty One Hours

"I will be calling home, Ms Aspen

"I will be calling home, Ms Aspen." That's my Math teacher. And that's my grades he's talking about.

Yeah, it turns out I wasn't as lucky this time around with my test score, which was the one that mattered as it's the last before spring break. Math really isn't my strong suit.

"I just don't understand, Victoria." He shakes his head, rummaging through my file. I don't think it's at all fair that every staff member in the school has access to my entire life in a yellow slip. "With your history, and it appears that you seem to be doing just fine in your other subjects."

He's right, I am a proud low B student in almost every other class. Introduce numbers and letters in italics, and I drop a grade. Or two. Or three, if I'm being honest.

"My history, Sir?" I ask, shifting in my seat as he flicks through some pages.

He glances up. "Adam Aspen is your brother, is he not?"

Oh. He means my family history.

Trust me dude, if you really knew my family history, you wouldn't be prying.

"I'll try harder, Mr Bald." I lie and he fakes a pleased smile.

"Please do."

"Just imagine it," Katherine snuffles, dabbing at her nose with a tissue. "In three days we'll be free women, dancing in the flowers and soaking up the sunshine."

It's Wednesday before Spring Break and Katherine is quite literally counting the minutes. An alarm begins to chime from her pocket.

Snatching it out, she cries, "Only forty one hours left!"

I roll my eyes and lean back into the leaf litter. It seems that we have adopted our original meeting area in the courtyard amongst the pine trees. No one really bothers us in here, plus it's shaded and quiet and the air smells fresh and crisp.

Much better than a steamy, crowded cafeteria.

"That's great." I drone, tired of hearing this spiel every hour. Anyway, we have more important matter to discuss. "Hey Kat," She brushes a stray strand of blond hair from her eyes, meeting my gaze. "Have you..."

She raises her eyebrows, waiting for me to finish. "Yeah?"

"Have you asked Dylan..." My voice seems to quieten, "about the date-thing?" I practically grumble the final two words and she claps her hands in delight.

"Oh, I knew it!" She squeals, "I knew you were going to ask me about it."

"Then why didn't you bring it up?" I cross my arms. Let's just say I'm not exactly happy about the situation, as I'm not one to get my best friend to organise my romantic affairs.

But isn't that exactly what you're doing?

It's true, I could have taken initiative and spoken to Dylan about the whole situation the other day at the Donovans', but I don't know. At first I was a little afraid to intrude and then... I'll just say that it wouldn't exactly be appropriate.

I could see the suspicion in his eyes after Mason and I made an appearance for dinner soaking wet. Especially since I had blatantly refused beforehand. And let me tell you, if I thought Alex, Dylan and Mason were sharing dirty looks before I took a dip...

It was like a silent World War Three (get it? Because there's three of them?). Water was not-so-accidentally spilled on one another, snide remarks were made and I guess they developed hearing problems, because none of them were noticing each other's pleas to pass the potato salad.

Though, I have noticed a slight alliance between Alex and Dylan. I suppose whatever they're feuding about can't split up best friends. But poor little Mason is on his own in the big bad world of... testosterone-induced hostilities.

See, I can't even make a joke about my neighbour anymore without me questioning what I'm getting at. I really don't know how I'm supposed to feel about Mason at the moment. One minute he's making fun of me and then the next he's holding me in his arms, telling me that whatever I feel is okay.

In relevance to the water, that is.

But then he went to completely ignoring me, treating me as if I'd offended his ancestry when clearly nothing happened.

"You still there?" A hand waves in front of my face and I startle. Katherine's staring at me as if waiting for an answer. I grunt in reply and she rolls her hazel eyes. "He said he wanted to talk to you first."

"Who?"

Her forehead scrunches in frustration. "Dylan! Who do you think?" Her demeanour immediately transforms to one of implication. "Unless you were thinking about someone else?"

I swat her arm, red faced, and push her along. "So, when did you have this conversation?"

"The other night, after he got home from that big barbeque at the Donovans. He seemed a little hesitant to jump straight into it, wanted to talk to you first. Sorry I couldn't make it, by the way," She holds up a tissue she's not quite finished using, "I'm a little sick as you may have noticed."

I smile dismissively. She doesn't need to know what happened that night. "Whatever." I shrug, "Just don't even think about giving it to me."

***************************

FOURTH update this weekend (even if it is short) and OOOOHHHH, I'm so going to fail all of my subjects. I was really hoping to get an early night tonight (as I got about 4 hours sleep last night), but seen as I am about to START my study and it is now after my bedtime, I will be a zombie for a little longer. ;)

Rewatching the Hunger Games for the billionth time. Even though it's not the book, it's still great when I don't have time to reread it!!!

Also, I'm thinking of starting a holiday reading list (even though they're a month away), so if you have any suggestions, comment them! So far I'm wanting to read The Host. I don't really like John Green, so just miss him completely (sorry everyone, I just don't feel him).

Thanks for reading!!! <3