21. Out

"So, any men in your life, Victoria?"

Wow. You need to stop right there, Janet. She's being her usual cheery self, giving me a wink that makes me flush slightly. What is with all of this blushing lately? I could have sworn that my confidence was as impenetrable as a brick wall.

Until I moved to Annandale.

I mumble some incoherent denies whilst quickly gathering a handful of books to stack. I am so not talking about boys with Janet. The only romantic interest I have in my life is supposed to be a platinum blonde with green eyes.

So why are brooding aquamarine pools and golden ringlets hazing my brain?

Oh shut up, you sound sulkier than Bella Swan.

Listen to the voice, Vic, listen to the voice.

I pull leather binding from the shelf to rearrange before gasping and dropping the load of books in my arms onto my toes. Blue eyes stare at me from the gap in the shelf, alight with amusement.

I yelp in pain and exclaim profanities, forgetting that I am, in fact, in a library. Flats don't do much to protect your feet.

I'll have to invest in some steel cap boots.

Just then, Candice walks by, glaring at me with a threat in her century-old beady eyes. Get it together, Tori.

"Ah, shitake mushrooms!" I forced a pained smile at her, "Just this recipes book for... Fungus. You'd never know how many varieties of mushrooms there are, Candice."

She nods ever so slowly, unconvinced but continues to her office.

I am about one more curse word from being fired. First the stripper outfit (courtesy of Katherine) and now shouting swear words in a place that is supposed to be peaceful. The sound of familiar laughter snaps me out of my frantic train of thought. 

"Mason!" I hiss, trying to keep my voice down as much as possible, with the heavy rage inside my voice box expanding to new and previously unreached volumes. His lean body stumbles out from behind the book shelf, shaking with silent laughter.

Like the mature person I am, I collect the pages scattered all over my now bruised feet and turn my back to the imbecile. I absolutely have no tolerance for his antics. Especially after this morning.

This is the second time today he's clutched his sides at my expense. And it's a Saturday.

I weave my way through the wooden shelves expertly before a strong hand wraps around my arm, firmly tugging me to spin one hundred and eighty degrees.

There's a stupid crooked grin on his stupid sharp jawline that makes his stupid eyes sparkle.

Wow, I think I deserve some sort of award for that.

He's beaming in a way that takes me back to when I saw him in the school courtyard, laughing and full of light. I want to take some of that light and hide it away for days when the clouds are a little too dark, the wind a little too cold.