48. Petrified and Pathetic

"What is your problem, Donovan?" Dylan grinds, hand still gripping the side of his face

"What is your problem, Donovan?" Dylan grinds, hand still gripping the side of his face. My eyes dart between the two, like a tennis match of violence.

There seems to be only three kinds of students at Hansen High. There's the ones who goggle at the scene, forming the most part of the crowd, the people that evade the entire situation, opting to turn back down the hallway. And then there's the ones who are directly involved in the drama.

I, for one, wish I could walk down the hall straight out of the snake pit.

"Don't. Touch. Her. Again." Mason's voice could shatter glaciers. I knew I shouldn't have said anything to give him the wrong idea. I was an idiot to think I diverted him by battering my emotions.

Maybe it would have worked, if the other moron didn't kiss you again right in the hallway.

I unintentionally scowl in Dylan's direction, but his attention is elsewhere.

"Is there something you'd like to say to me, Donovan?" He sneers and I suddenly want to smack him in the face. Again.

The growl that emanates from Mason's throat rattles my bones. And I think everyone else feels it too, noted from the slight backwards shuffle even the jocks perform. I think I see Dylan flinch.

Everybody knows not to mess with an annoyed Mason Donovan.

Well, everybody but egoistic, broody, and equally hot tempered idiots.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Alex shouts, finally reaching the pair. He seems to puff out his chest and widen his stance and I'm honestly unsure of who he is addressing. Even the crowd seems a little tempted to answer.

I breathe a sigh of relief to see that he's not only attacking Mason, but glaring at Dylan also. So, even best friends have limits.

"Stay out of it, Aspen." Mason spits, glower not once leaving the bleeding blonde in front of him. I almost laugh when I realise that Dylan has a nosebleed. It's only minor, but he sure is struggling to hide it from view.

"Out of it? That's my sister," And right then, before Alex can shout another word, that's when I get mad. I can deal with Ken and Crazy arguing, but Alex? How dare he?

After all he's done to me, shunned me, tormented me, insulted me, after all that I'm his sister?

No. No way.

"Oh I am, am I?" My voice booms makes them falter. It seems that all of them are only just realising that I'm alive, that I'm not just some treat or a trophy or a weapon.

And by 'them', I mean Mason. The other two don't even spare me a glance longer than two seconds. Mason, however slackens.

For the first time he looks at me, really looks at me and I him. I see the dark circles under his eyes and the way he has to blink profusely because he can't stand the sight of me.