Meeting Friends

Viren's POV

"Ask Swetha to come with you", I offered my mom who had been trying hard to take me along with her for shopping." Viren, we have to buy a saree for Payal and jewellery too. You know her better, you can help me. Besides Aarav has his vaccination today. She is taking him there. She will join us late.Don't argue now!", she glared. After my conversation with Sneha, I got back home to my mom dressed and about to leave. Had I been a little late she would have left and I, spared. But, now I have to go along and trot from one shop to other as my mom endlessly troubled the shopkeepers. I was at peace after talking to Sneha. I got some answers and all that I had to do now was to wait for her to come back. I expected to spend my evening staying away from her thoughts but apparently my mom would not let that happen.

"We also have to purchase the engagement ring", my mom declared after two hours ,while we left a heap of sarees in one shop and moved to the next one. "Ring? I think we will wait for her. She will choose one for herself", I said absent minded. "Why?", she asked gesturing the keeper to show a set of sarees she was pointing to." What why?She might have to wear it every day. What if she doesn't like what we select?", I questioned as my phone beeped. " You are right. Call and ask her to come here", she said and I put my phone back contemplating my answer. "She can't come. We both will do it some other day", I said hoping she will leave it at that." Why can't she come? Wait I will call Mrs.Sarda", she said fishing for her phone.

" Mom! Let it be. She is not in town", I said holding her hand." Where did she go?", she asked surprised. " She will be back the day after. We will shop on that day", I tried reasoning. "It will be late Viren, you will be left with just two days.Let's do it now", she was not convinced." Mom I will manage. Please leave the ring.Go forward with the saree and jewellery.I want her to really like it.",I finished and heard someone from behind," Wow! so much love!", that was my sister who has finally turned up to save me. My mom grinned at her comment while I rolled my eyes.

"Now that you are here, I will go breathe in some air", I said and escaped amidst their protests. I found a bakery and my stomach grumbled. It was almost dinner time and my mom and sister will take a lot of time to even think about it. I walked to the bakery and seated myself. I remembered there was a message I had ignored a while ago. To my surprise it was from Aakash, my friend. What the message contained was beyond my understanding.

Dude! You should have told. We would have taken care of everything ,it said and for a minute I was not sure if it was even Aakash. But it was him then may be it was a cross-text.

Was that a cross-text?, I replied hoping for him to respond immediately. I had placed my order and was waiting for it to arrive when I got the reply.

Ofcourse not!I can't believe you missed the chance of meeting us. You should have come along, another text that seemed like greek to me.I had the urge to call him up and bang him for his stupid messages but my order arrived and that stopped me from doing it.

I can't get a word of what you say. I managed to reply and dug into the pastries that were served to me. This man was fast as he replied in seconds.

Your fiancee is in Chennai! That is what I am talking about. I almost choked on what I was eating. I had to gulp down water and read the message twice.Payal was in Chennai? Was he serious. Does he even recognize her? That was when I remembered sending them her picture few days ago. So, there were chances he was right.I wanted to confirm

She is in Chennai? Can you click a picture and send me. I texted back without thinking how stupid that will sound and how freaked that girl would be.