The Closure

The engagement ceremony was to take place tomorrow and the relatives started to arrive. The house has become so noisy that communicating required a lot of energy. This was just the starting as many of them were yet to come. I was literally ordered to stay at home as I had to look 'beautiful' for tomorrow. However, ironically none of them noticed when I sneaked out of home and headed to office. I left my team unattended for almost 4 days and I also had to report to Mr.Subbu. I thought I will take the second half of the day off to take some rest.

I had to still invite my friends for the engagement. Then there was this appointment with the beautician that my mom had taken. I also had to collect the dress( one of the dresses to be precise)that I would be wearing tomorrow. I was also planning on getting Viren an engagement gift but I had no clue what I should get him. So much to do yet so less time. All this last minute cramping was owing to my stupid last minute trip. I was now cursing myself for not considering all this before. Now all that I can do is run around in this scorching heat finishing one task after another.

"Ah!Welcome back bride-to-be", Mr Subbu stood up as soon as I entered the cabin. How did he know? Viren! I was relieved as my mind worked the last moment and I thought of purchasing a box of sweets, just in case. I quickly opened the box and offered him and he heartily took four pieces out of it. " So, Viren and you eh?That sure was a surprise. Did you guys get together during the interview?", he asked relishing the kaju katli. " No sir, this was arranged by our parents. It is just a co-incidence", I said hoping he will at-least ask me to sit down. " Is that so? Very strange! Destiny has its own little games", he guffawed. Right! now please stop playing with me and get to the topic,I mentally pleaded.

" Please sit down Ms. Payal", he finally said and I took a seat opposite to him. I wasted no time in getting to business not leaving him space to ask any more questions. " The office is great sir. It is no less than this one. They have a very energetic and motivated team. I don't see any reason to panic. They will make it big",I said as his face lit up with my words. Chennai was his home town and he was hoping to shift there and take charge of that branch in the near future. He had been taking extra interest in it, vising there often and getting into the good books of the Rao brothers. I should admit he was talented and dedicated. He could easily be considered after the Raos. There was no doubt he would be the only one Raos would choose to head that branch, when the time comes. He was unofficially heading it anyways. If that was to happen then I would be replacing him at the head branch. "Anything else that we can do? Any suggestions come to your mind?", his voice snapped me out." Well, I felt organizing some talks by roping in some bigwigs once in a while will keep them going. May be we could also invite them here once, they will talk to people here", I said. "Yes yes.We could do that. I will talk to the Vikram Rao and arrange for it", he said excitedly rubbing his palms. " So how is work progressing?", he asked and the next half an hour I updated him on the work and the issues the team was facing.

"Thank you for the suggestions Ms.Payal", he said as I got up to leave." No problem sir. I have a request. We are getting engaged tomorrow and I will have to be away for the day ", I said. " That is wonderful. Apply for the leave. Not an issue. Take the remaining day off too. You are the bride", he chuckled." So are we invited?", he asked hopefully. " Actually sir, It is a closed family affair so-" , I left the sentence midway leaving the rest to him. " I can understand. My wishes are always with you two", he said and I thanked him and got back to my cabin.

I decided to leave after lunch, it will give me a chance to meet Priya. I was worried it might be awkward and that was one of the reason I did not barge into her cabin as soon as I reached the office. I pushed that meeting to lunch and having no interest to work I opened a e-commerce website  and started browsing for a gift. I thought a shirt and a watch would be a good idea. Other than that nothing was coming to my mind. It is comparatively so easy to shop for girls, I sighed.