Chapter 19: A Strange Connection

Pacifica wound up hosting Makoto at her house, at least until they could find her guardians, assuming she had any. Dipper, after waking up, paced his room. Mabel was still asleep because it was Saturday.
It had been a week since they found Makoto and Dipper still didn't know who she was or how she knew him. He also could shake the strange sense of familiarity residing in that name.
Suddenly his phone rang, it was Pacifica. He picked up.
"Hello."
"Dipper," Pacifica's voice was filled with worry. "Makoto just collapsed!"
"What, how is she?" Dipper gripped the phone.
"She's running a fever again. She said that she need to see you." Pacifica exclaimed.
"Okay, I'm on my way." Dipper grabbed his sweatshirt and ran out the door to his car.
He pulled up to the mansion and dashed to the front door, where a butler let him in.
Pacifica sat beside Makoto who laid on the couch with a moist towel on her head. She was awake, but barely.
"Did you call a doctor?" Dipper asked.
"Yeah, he was here a few minutes ago and said it had to run its course, he said the fever should go down soon." Pacifica said.
"That's a relief." Dipper said.
Makoto loosely stared at him.
"Whats wrong?" He asked.
"Oh nothing I've just been feeling a bit depressed since we went to the lake again yesterday." Makoto said.
"Do you know why?"
She shook her head.
"Okay, well I have to get back to the Shack. I'll be back this afternoon; if anything happens, call me, okay." He insisted.
Pacifica nodded her head. Dipper waved goodbye and they both waved back as he took off.
Dipper got to the Mystery Shack and sat on the roof with a can of Pitt cola thinking about Makoto.
The window opened. It was Ford.
"Oh, hey uncle Ford. I haven't seen you out of the basement for a while." Dipper took a sip.
"Yes well I've been dismantling the portal and I'm happy to say that I'm finally finished. I needed to ask you something." He sat down.
"Sure, what's up?" Dipper acknowledged.
"Did you by any chance let a fox in last time you were in Gravity Falls?"
Dipper's eyes widened and his mind came to a halt. He set down his drink as if he were preparing to give a speech.
"How did you know?" Dipper was puzzled.
"It wasn't me, it was your uncle who found out." He remarked.
"Oh, so it wasn't much of a secret after all." He laughed.
"Yes well did you know there's a breed of foxes in Gravity Falls that can take human form?"
Dipper spit out his drink.
"What, why do you think?"
"Well because I met one. When I first moved to the Falls, I met a fox and kept it for a day or two. Shortly after I met a person who had lost there memory. I took that person in and we became fondly attached. I soon found out that person was once a fox, the very same fox I came across earlier. Then that person began to get sick. She got a bad fever and then..." He cut out. "So I wrote about it in one of the journals, and forgot the whole thing ever happened. For a fox here to become a human they must give up two things, their memory, and later, their life. I think Dipper you have some hard times approaching." Those word echoed in Dipper head.
He realized the person in the story had lost their memory. Makoto had lost her memory. And Makoto thought she knew Dipper from somewhere. And was familiar with the same place Dipper had left that fox he took in. Makoto also contracted a fever...
Dipper began to run as fast as he could, he went out the door and onto the parking lot. He turned on his car and sped off, all in a moment. Makoto was that fox that Dipper knew years ago. And she was about to die.