Chap. 1.2

“Thank you very much!” I hug the mail carrier. He is too obedient for me.

He retorts with a smile. “You are welcome ma’am. It is my pleasure to help and I got to go now, lot of letters to send” he smiles then leaves. He is nice. I hope that when my brother grows up, he will be a good teenager like him. Likewise, the fact I know about him is that, he is an orphan. He only lives with his grandma and working in a post station. I evoke the things that we have talk. The moment he left his parents, he never expected that it would be the last time he will saw them. Two months after that, the news enlightened him. It was his house, vanished by a glimpse of an eye. A grenade in a war hit it. The silence in his heart was gray. He did not want to cry but his parents were affected. He just saw them, burned in fire. He was in a restaurant at that time. There was no one with him there when he saw it on TV. His nerves was hardening in dread. He felt an imaginary rope on his feet, pulling him down. His hands were paralyzing. It continued shaking.

While he is telling this story, I can feel the same way I feel when I left my home. My parents did not want me to go away but I choose to be separated from them. I was still a fresh graduate from Harvard University.  I only told them that I was leaving but they do not mind until the day they found me disappeared at the house. My dad called me and told me that Joan was crying. She was not like that. I thought that they could make it without seeing me staying at the house. I was mystified knowing that mom is three months sick after I left. The sad memory ended when I heard both of them about the good news.

I was adlib by the time I heard this news. My mom was pregnant and she was bringing a baby boy. At once, I have a little brother now. It was born on the same day I accepted the offer of a job in New York. The Manhattan National Museum’s head Mr. Franco was the one who offers me this opportunity. That time, the world behind me was in rejoicing. It was the luckiest part of me. All I was asking were granted. I never expected all of that thing would happen.

I am in my way now to go out in my room when I open the TV again but switch it off quickly when I hear the taxi blows its horns. I pick up my luggage in no time and run downstairs. I say goodbyes to my roommates and friends at the dorm while passing them by. They also respond to me in the same way. They are so happy seeing me leaving the building. I think they are happy now because of my career in life. They know that I am successful in many ways, in my jobs and other areas. I cannot tell honestly if where I am correctly fit.

As I go out the door, the driver smiles at me. It is weird. He is like a clown with his mouth. His noses are red and I think he has a sinus. I am going to ask him about his terrible face but I insist. I need to go home early as soon as possible.

When I am inside the taxi, the driver turns on the radio. The music is also weird like him. I do not know what station it is. I close my ears with my two hands and he maximizes it, breaking my eardrum inside. My ears get shudder and shudder. I tell him to low the volume down but he never hears it and just continue singing with the music. He is not a crazy person but definitely a drug-addict. Why does the law never imprison him?

“Hey, can you switch off the radio?” I say.

“What,” he asks. “I can’t hear you”

“Are you deaf? I said that please turn off your radio now” I shout but still never minds me at all. The music changes and turns bizarre than ever. I cannot take it anymore so I turn off the radio myself.

“Here,” I utter. “Now, can I go down now and I will just pay you because I am going to call some policemen for help”

“What did you say? You will call a police to capture me. I think you better know now,” he stops. He gets his gun below the couch of the front seat and pints it on me. I am afraid. He is mad now. Truly, he is more than a drug-addict. He never stops pointing the gun to me. I cannot take this anymore. I need to call the police station now. I need to find a way that I can get away from his attention.