Chapter 2: Acting Normal

I sighed. Time to go act like nothing had happened while she was gone.

As I entered the lounge I said; "Hey Mum. How was getting stuff?"

She ignored my question and stared at my face. "Why is your face swollen?"

Damn.

I could feel Mike's eyes on me as I replied with a sheepish smile; "I ran into the bathroom door. Clumsy, huh?"

Mum stared piercingly with her brown eyes into my green ones before laughing.

I laughed too, out of nervousness.

"Sorry Mum, but I really gotta go."

Mum laughed. "Always in a rush to get to the station, you are."

I smiled sweetly. "Can I take your car?"

Mum raised her eyebrows. "I don't think.."

I cut her off before she could finish. "Thanks mum bye!"

As I ran out the door with Mums car keys I heard Mike mutter something inaudible.

Jerk.

But I had no time to curse him any more ,since I was about half an hour late for work at the Auckland Police Station where I worked as a apprentice detective. Mostly all I did was make coffees and tag along to crime scenes, but I was getting there.

It was my biggest dream to become chief detective and solve crimes.

"Hey!" My two best friends said, waving. Holly and Lucas strode up to me confidently.

"Guess what?" Holly said mysteriously.

"What?" I asked curiously, glancing at my watch.

"Lucas and I are boyfriend and girlfriend!" Holly squealed, hugging Lucas.

"Again?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Again." Lucas replied, chuckling.

I sighed fondly.

Lucas and Holly were always dating on and off, but we were always friends, even if this was the fourth time they had gone out.

My watch beeped. 12.00 o'clock! Now I was a whole hour late!

"Sorry guys, gotta go otherwise Colin will kill me, cremate me then dance on the ashes!"