Chapter Six: Fitting the part nicely

Still acting like a typical teenager, I stormed out of the room whilst muttering inaudibly.

"Any luck convincing old Andrew, Cassie?" An officer yelled from the back of the room.

Several officers snickered.

"I thought adults were supposed to be mature." I grumbled, as I pushed my way out of the room.

When i finally pulled into my driveway, I felt furious. Furious!

To be honest, today was turning out to be a pretty crap day.

The only thing that could be considered good was finding about Holly and Lucas' new relationship status.

But then, I would probably become the third wheel, again. I thought bitterly.

But Holly and Lucas are your best friends! A little voice complained in the back of my mind.

True. I thought, as I opened the front door.

SMACK!

The annoying voice vanished out of my mind.

A flying water balloon missile slammed into my face. Hard.

"Shit!" I cursed, dropping my keys and handbag so I could hold my face in my hands.?

Childish giggling filled the room.

I lifted my head sharply.

"Who the heck-"

The giggling exploded into uncontrolled laughter as the culprits spotted my red face.

Wait, let me re-phrase that.

My red, mascara-streaked face.

"Sweetie!" My mother crooned, engulfing me in her arms.

"You're home." An un-enthusiastic voice drawled.

Mike.

"Aw nah, bro.*" I muttered angrily, releasing myself from my mothers arms.

Which, consequently brought me face to face with It.

"Good to see you again, Mike." I chirp cheerfully, for the sake of my mother.

The ugly creature which is my mums boyfriend scowled at me.

I pouted. "Just trying to be nice."

My mum nudged Mike gently. Be nice, the silent message said.

The hideous monster reared its ugly head and laughed good-naturedly.

"Of course sweetie."

I didn't believe its act for a second.

I jumped as Pink's song, True Love, started blasting out of my mums cellphone.

"Hello?" She said, answering it.

Silence.

"Hello? Hello? Anyone -" Mum frowned as the caller hung up.

"Wrong number?" Mike suggested.

Mum shrugged.

"True Love, it must be, trueee love, it must be, True Love,-"

I groaned.

"Stupid prank callers!" Mum grumbled as she answered her phone for the second time.

"What do you want?" She said grouchily.

I checked the Caller - ID on the machine.

Lizzie's Nail Therapy

"Uh oh." I thought briefly.

********

"Shelley? Is that you?" The shrill voice of Becky Winters asked. (Becky is always getting my Mums name wrong)

A.k.a Holly's mum, and my mums boss.

It was amazing how quickly mums voice changed.

"Becky! How..uh..lovely of you to ring!" Mum crooned.

"Yes, well, down at the shop we have had a unfortunate.....mishap involving a bottle of nail cleaner and the bench."

Mum tutted. "Was it the new girl?"

I imagined Becky nodding sadly. "Yes it was."

Mum sighed.

Glancing at me she said, "I'll be there right away Becky."

"Sweet as."* Replied Becky, sounding not very much like herself.

As she pushed the red button, she shot an apologetic look at me.

The look said ; "I know you dislike Mike, but this is urgent. I'll make it up to you, I promise."

Yippee. I thought miserably.

"No, I said to myself, "You can do this! Just don't provoke him."

After glancing at Mike's smug face, I added; "This may be harder than I thought."

*********_*******_*********

******€**************************

*Aw nah bro = It's a Kiwi*thing.......

*Kiwi= If you didn't know, (but you should anyway) Kiwi is another name for New Zealanders, as Kiwi (Kee-wee) is our native bird.

*Sweet as = I only found out awhile ago that countries like America and England don't use this little saying (ikr!!) and they think; "Sweet as what?" (apparently) , but its basically Kiwi way of saying Fine.

I hereby dedicate this chapter to all the Kiwis everywhere, and I just want to blurt out (only kiwis will understand this);

"GHOST CHIPS!!!!!!!!"

Don't worry I'm almost done rambling.........I just want to say one more thing;

"MEEP!"