Chapter 7: The Black Shadow strikes again

After glancing at Mike's smug face, I added; "This may be harder than I thought."

******

After Mum left for work, I realised she hadn't said anything that stopped me from inviting Holly and Lucas over.

"On second thoughts, maybe just Holly." I thought cringing slightly. I definitely do NOT want them to start kissing in my bedroom, even if they are my best friends.

I smiled happily as I punched Holly's number into my green cellphone.

Just before I poked that awesome green button, a headline blaring from the t.v down stairs froze my finger.

"A young woman has been found dead in her car outside a remote farm on the out skirts of Auckland."

I held my breath, not daring to speak.

"The woman, Nicki Mathews, aged 34, is believed to have been stalked on her way to her 80 year old mothers house, which was near the farm her body was discovered outside."

Tears streamed down my face. Nicki Mathews was a pre-school teacher who taught at the local day care centre. She was also one of my mums best friends.

**************

I ran downstairs as soon as I heard mums car pull into our driveway.

"Mum!" I sobbed, as I embraced my mother.

"Hey, hey, honey, whats wrong? I'm gone for an hour and you're crying when I come back?"

"It's Nicki." I sobbed.

Mum turned pale. "What's wrong?" She repeated.

"I'm sorry honey." Mike crooned, stroking my mums hair.

*******

"What murder? As far as I know Kates flatmates are fine."

She raised an eyebrow at me.

"You sure this isn't one of your crazy detective games?"

I blushed briefly before shoving a exact-copy of the document Colin had shown me (that I had stolen before leaving the station.) in her face.

Mum turned even paler.

"Oh my god."

Mike nodded.

Even though he was a complete slime-ball, he still did care about some other people than his self. Apparently.

I took a deep breath before pushing play on Mums laptop.

******

When the news recording was finished, I glanced at Mum.

Tears were streaming down her face. "Nicki..." She whispered.

"I know, Mum, I know."

Mum started wailing as she buried her head in my shoulder.

This time I was the parent, and I had to help my Mum.

**********

While Mike got Mum a cup of coffee and phoned Nicki's Mum and Dad, I called Holly on my cellphone.

Beep. Beep Beep. Beep beep.

"Come on." I said to myself.

"Hello?"

I caught my breath. It was Kate, Holly's sister.

"Hi Kate, how are you?"

Mentally I slapped myself.

Kate's two best friends were just murdered by a deadly criminal, do I expect her to answer; I'm feeling awesome?

Kate seemed to be thinking the same thing because she ignored it and instead asked; "Is your mum okay?"

I hesitated. "Not really."

I imagined Kate nodding. "Me neither."

There was an awkward pause before I asked;

"So um, I was actually wondering if Holly was there?"

There was a pause.

"Hang on, Cassie, I think shes in her room."

I heard pounding as Kate knocked on her sisters door.

"Holly, Cassie's on the phone for you!"

Pause.

"Sorry Cassie." Kate said before yelling again.

"HOLLY! HOLLY! Are you in there? Open up!"

Creak as Kate opened Holly's door.

I heard a sharp intake of breath.

"Sorry Cassie, I don't know where she is. She was supposed to be in here studying....."

"Thats okay Kate, I'll ring her cell. Thanks anyway!" I said quickly, already dialling Holly's number on my cellphone.

"Are you sure? 'Cause I think she might be-"

I heard Kate breathe in sharply as the sound of a vase smashing echoed around the upstairs.

"I think someones in the house..." Kate whispered into the phone.

**********

Hello Awesome people, *SUSPENSE*!! Go me because I think this is one of my longest chapters so far!

So far I think my only readers are my dear friends who put with me even though I'n crazy, but if you are reading this and you're not one of my friends please click that Awesome Vote button that is designed specially for special people like you! (Not that all my crazy friends aren't special..... But yeah.)

And if you are from or living in the Awesome country of New Zealand, please comment, and I MAY just dedicate the next chapter to you because;

KIWIS RUUULLLEEEE!!!!!

Thankyou, thankyou, and GOODBYE!

MEEP.