Chapter 8: Intruder Alert

"Are you sure? 'Cause I think she might be-"

I heard Kate breathe in sharply as the sound of a vase smashing echoed around the upstairs.

"I think someones in the house..." Kate whispered into the phone.

I froze. "Are you sure, Kate?"I whispered. "Maybe its just-"

Thump. Thump. Thump.

It was the unmistakable sound of shoe-clad feet stomping up stairs.

"Cassie, if I don't make it, tell Mum, Dad, and Holly-"

At the mention of Holly, the approaching intruder froze and called out;

"Kate, is that you?"

I let out a deep breath I didn't know I had been holding. It was Holly.

"Holly!" Kate screeched at her sister. "You scared the crap out of me! What is wrong with you?!"

I heard Holly sigh. "Geez, sis, I was just walking up the-"

Kate yelled; "You broke a freakin' vase!!"

Silence from Holly.

What she said next chilled my bones.

"I didn't break any vase."

********

After the incident at Holly's , I decided it was best to leave her family in peace for a little while and and that I should call Lucas instead. 

But just before I rang Lucas, I heard mum shouting; "I'm going to Nicki's parents place."

I shouted back; "Okay!" while insideI groaned. I would be stuck with Mike again!

I waited patiently  while the phone rang.  Please let him be able to come over so I'm not alone with It.

"Hello?"

"Lucas! Hi! Want to come over for a chat?"

There was a moment of hesitation before I heard;

"Um.....Sorry Cass, I can't I...." I heard someone frantically whispering in the back ground.

"....I have some...unfinished homework thats due.uh...tomorrow?"

I raised my eyebrow even though I knew he couldn't see.

"But you always finish your homework of the first or second day."

More furious whispering.

"No babe, I have to tell her...." He said to the unknown person in the background.

"Who's babe?" I asked curiously.

"Holly of course!" The mysterious person giggled.

I sighed fondly.

"What are you two up to?" I asked over the sound of the t.v blaring downstairs.

"Um....Well..." Lucas said.

There was a quick snatching-away noise.

"Im telling her!" Lucas protested.

Holly ignored him as she blurted; "Lucas and I are going to travel around New Zealand."

I was stunned. I mean, they're only 15! I repeated this into my cellphone.

Lucas chuckled in the background. "Well, I'm actually 16."

"Shut up!" I screeched into the phone.

"I can't believe you're leaving me all alone, when there's a killer on the loose!!"

More furious whispering.

Holly finally crooned; "Cass, I'm sorry, but you have to understand me! I have some very convincing reasons..."

But i didn't hold a care in the world for my bestie's "convincing reasons".

One: I wasn't listening because....

Two: I could no longer hear the obnoxious sound of the afternoon news.

"Mike?" I asked, ignoring the crackling whispers from my phone.

No answer.

I tried again. "Hello? Mike?"

Silence.

*******

I whispered a quick apology to Lucas and Holly, before having a quick mental argument with myself.

Option 1: Hide under my bed, or...

Option 2: Investigate with phone-camera in hand...

Option 3: Jump out the window and run to car then drive to Holly's house empty-handed.

Okay, so maybe Option 3 wasn't a very sensible thing to do, so I decided to go with Option 2.

Time to investigate, I thought nervously.

Grabbing my phone (video all set) I creaked down our flats small stairs.

My breathing was heavy.....

I was terrified.