Chapter 4: Killer on the loose

Colin held up a finger. He paused for a moment, waiting for silence, then he announced:

" A couple have been murdered."

I yelped. "What?!"

Colin nodded. "It was quite recent."

"What? Where? Who?"

Colin read from an official looking piece of paper he was holding.

"A young couple, Marcus Flinn and Anne Strike, aged 20 and 18, were found dead in the suburbs of East Auckland in their flat, which they shared with Kate Winters."

I winced. Kate Winters was Holly's older sister.

"Miss Winters revealed that the young couple had set out before hand to take a quick walk.

When they returned, Miss Winters remembers the couple seeming visibly shaken, but Miss Strike had insisted it was nothing to be concerned about.

Miss Winters had left the flat for a few minutes to wash her car.

When she returned, the couple were dead."

I was shaking. "Who would do such a thing?"

Colin sighed. "The police and I suspect a past murderer who answers to the name of Nate Jackson."

I shivered. "The Black Shadow." He was my least favourite criminal.

Colin raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, the killer has been known to answer to that name as well. However, that is not his official name, it will not be included on the police report so I suggest you avoid calling him that. It is nothing but a fanciful name in which he calls himself to try disguise his true identity.".

But I was no longer listening to Colin.

If this was The Black Shadows work, and it certainly made sense if it was, then we had a serious killer on the loose.

The Black Shadow stalked his victims, before cornering them somewhere and brutally murdering them.

I shuddered. Poor Marcus and Anne.

I was terrified of walking down the many dark alleyways of Auckland because of him.

Colin's voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Since it is a serious murder case, I expect you to turn up earlier next time as we need every single officer and detective, even if you are a apprentice."

Colin sniffed, seeming annoyed at having to rely on my 'incompetence'.

I fist punched the air triumphantly.

"Yes!"

Colin raised an eyebrow. "Miss Brooke! Please restrain yourself at once."

I sat down on a nearby chair sheepishly.

"Although I admire your enthusiasm, you are not permitted to join in the investigation.

"What?!"