Complaints, Costumes And Doctors

LACEY

"Stay by me," the Doctor instructed. I smirked, shaking my head.

"You stay by me!" I laughed. We looked pretty funny, me being in a suit... but I was determined to be the best Doctor.

I knew everyone would stare, especially since we technically appeared out of no where.

The Doctor had his arms linked with mine, not taking his eyes of anyone who stared as we walked past.

"Do we really have to do this?" I groaned. The Doctor laughed, but didn't reply.

We found our way through a jungle of people, who most likely just moved out of our way from a quick glare by the Doctor.

Quentin made an entrance towards me, letting me have a good look at his costume. I mentally sighed: he came as the Eleventh Doctor.

The Doctor cackled quietly. I made a face. Quentin wasn't the sci-fi type of guy. He plays football, for Heaven's sake! And here he was, dressed as the Doctor. He was a good looking guy, I couldn't lie about it. But he wasn't my type.

"Hey, Lace!" Quentin put his arms around me. I smiled wryly once he freed me, gently squeezing my way through the party-goers to find a nice viewing spot.

"I can see myself everywhere," the Doctor looked around intensely pointing and counting out loud how many versions of himself he had found in one glance.

"I feel really stupid now," I whined. The Doctor grinned, pulling me towards one of the rooms. He handed me what I thought was a coat.

"Put it on," he snapped. I expected him to leave, but he didn't. I put the dress on, carefully trying not to ruin the suit I wore.

Doctor took the suit from me, and placed it somewhere. I wasn't looking.

He handed me a pair of black heels in place of the Converse, and tightened my vintage dress-gown-frock thing.

"We match," he smiled darkly. I quickly styled my hair, wondering where Rubie was.

"We'll never match," I uttered, running my hands down the black laced fabric.

"You're right," he said in my ear, "but that doesn't matter, does it? Wherever did you get the idea that I cared about you?"

What a bi-polar Doctor.

He looped his arm through mine, but this time I didn't feel so full of pride. But really, if he didn't care, why was he here, with me?

I knew everyone was staring, but right now all I could thing about was Rubie. The Doctor pressed a masquerade mask up against my face, grinning at me. At least it would hide my tears.

The pain of not having Rubie here like we had planned, overcome me. I was sure she would have beat me here if she was turning up... except I came by TARDIS. Who knows what the Doctor must have accomplished to bring me here 'on time'.

"I am not good enough company?" The Doctor shifted his had away from his green eyes, giving himself patience to have my answer. He probably noticed my unusual resistance to argue with him, or speak.

"Too good," was all I could say, examining every corner of this place every second, to find Rubie.

The Doctor watched me for a moment, then distracted himself with the skimpy waitresses strutting around with drinks and tidbits.

"So much for worthless and puny," I spat, catching the Doctor's attention.

"Hmm? Oh, that! Yes, well... I wasn't implying that to all humans... just you." He said in a too happy tone.

I dropped our arms, and went to sit on a vacant chair. The Doctor just eyed me from across the room, with a look that suggested I had gone too far.

"Drink, miss?" An attractive guy asked. I took the last drink from the tray, and he automatically sat down beside me. "Why aren't you having any fun?"

"My best friend is due to arrive and my so-called company is just using me for God knows what!" I complained.

"Do you like him?" The waiter asked with a raised brow. I shrugged.

"Yeah, I like him, but... he's not who I expected. I'm too persistent and I figured it out the hard way," I frowned, looking at my hands.

"It's for the best if you stay away," the Doctor's voice made me jump.

I shook my head, turning my head away.

"What if I don't want to?" I protested.

There was a brief moment of thoughtful silence.

"That means you are very, very stupid."

I eased to my feet, the sound of my heels resonating off the floor, in juxtaposition to the dance music and everyone's loud thuds as they jumped up and down.

"Are you warning me, Doctor?" I spoke over the music, with the back of my hand near his jaw. He smiled.

"Why yes, Lacey. I am warning you. Again."