Fear That Feeds

*Rubie's POV*

The Master and I walked arm in arm toward the Doctor and Lacey, after my photo taking spree. Nothing had been off limits, because I assumed that the Master would keep me safe. And so far he had.

I spoke too soon.

"Basically, run!" yelled the Doctor. Now that I looked, I could see some rather funny looking- wait, what? Fairies? Really? Appalapachians are fairies? Two hearted fairies?

Everything spun as the Master tugged on my arm, forcing me to spin and run in order to keep up with him. "What are they? And please don't say fairies!" I yelled at the Master, panicking.

"They are the minaces variation of the Appalapachian race," the Master, replied, still with all his wits about him, and not out of breath. I was so jealous.

"Minaces what?" I yelled, trying not to stumble over the hopefully benign vines trailing on the ground. "Those vines," my voice grew quieter with fear. Fear of not returning home, people that I loved not knowing what happened to me.

"It means an ominous feeling in latin. Basically they feed off your fear. I normally find that fear sharpens your reflexes, but this time it really doesn't help at all. Just think of England," he turned to me and winked with that last statement. I would have laughed, but I was too scared.

Then I remembered when I'd go to the snow, and I'd be cold when it was blizzarding, but I'd convince myself I wasn't cold and I would stop shivering. Perhaps that solution would work for this scenario as well?

I closed my eyes, trusting that the Master would not lead me astray. Not scared, not scared, not scared, not scared, not scared, not scared. This continued like a mantra through my head, I even started to put some music to it. I started to sing it aloud.

"Not scared, not scared, not scared, mot scared, not scared, not scared, not scared, not scared, not scared," The Master chuckled. My lips curved upward, and I wondered at the silence other than the sound of his melodic laughter and our running footsteps.

The Master looked around. "They're gone," he turned to me.

I went and gave him a hug. "They're not very good monsters then," I said to his chest as he held me close. He chuckled.

"Obviously not, considering a small Earth girl with a very good voice could make them go away," the Master mused aloud.

"Are you sure they weren't just scared of your ugly mug," I said jokingly, stepping back from his warm embrace.

"Come on, lets take you back," he said, walking away, obviously expecting me to follow. I was confused though.

"Didn't you arrive by flower?" I asked, feeling the wrinkle forming between my eyebrows.

He turned and winked, still walking. "No, I just did that to mess with your head. I actually arrived by my Sidrat,"

"How did you know we'd be here?" I asked, running to catch up with him.

He didn't answer. Just kept walking. So imagine my surprise when he leads me to a flower.

"A flower?" I asked, indignant. "You expect both of us to fit in that? What happened to your shop anyway?"

"Chameleon circuit. It's still bigger on the inside. If you prefer the shop, I can change it back?" he asked, seeming genuinely worried about my opinion.

"No, it's fine. But if you lied-" I don't finish my threat, knowing it will be more effective if he doesn't know what I will do, but assumes it will be something extreme.

He laughed, pulling back the petals, stepping inside, holding out a hand for me. I grabbed it, expecting yet not expecting him to pull me in next to him, due to the size of the flower, we were standing closer than we ever had, except when we were hugging. And that didn't count, as far as I was concerned.

The petals slowly closed around us. As it grew darker, the Master pulled me into his arms and I didn't resist. Homicidal fairies to flower tardises, it was understandable that I was scared of the dark. I hadn't been scared of the dark since I was a teenager, and that had been caused largely by doctor who and my devil friends to my realist beliefs. But they slowly and gradually converted me to their beliefs. I had then, and still now, believed in 'the hallway monster' who lurked in our dark hallway, sometimes taking on the appearance of my father. Which had become more creepy considering he had died a few years ago, of a heart attack. I closed my eyes, the memories flashing behind my eyes just as terrifying as the pending darkness itself. Somehow sensing this and understanding, the Master held me tighter.

And then the image of my new favourite shop formed around us, the sight filling me with relief. All my weight transferred to the Master as I slumped against him. He used this to swing me up into his arms and carry me off to a comfortable lounge, where he sat with me over his lap.

Then I remembered. "What about Lacey and the Doctor?" I asked sleepily, yawning. "We just left them there!" I was about to get up and pace back and forth, not that I thought it would really achieve anything. But the Masters arms tightened around my waist and held me there. Not even my worst death stare could convince him to let me go.

"They'll be fine," he said softly. "This is the Doctor we're talking about, he'll keep Lacey safe. Besides, they have a Tardis, too, so it's not like they're stranded,"

"Damn you for being so logical!" I whisper yelled, my eyes falling shut slowly. I was exhausted from all the emotional trauma of the day, but mainly all the running. I was most definitely not in the condition for this kind of lifestyle.

The Master got up slowly, placing me back gently on the lounge in a horizontal position, whispering quietly "Sleep well, sweetie."