Chapter 12 Ashton's P.O.V

Sitting on the maze floor eating lunch and listening to the grievers in the distance screech. Running the path of the maze through my head to remember it for later.

Working everyday to find a way out of this maze. Working everyday to get back to WCKD to destroy them. Working everyday to get back to my brother Thomas. Working everyday to get these girls out of here.

Nobody deserves to go through this. I have watched too many girls die here. Watched them get attacked my grievers and go crazy and attack others.

"Ashton."

Watch the young girls turn to me and look up to me on what to do when something goes wrong. I have to make the decision to banish someone to the maze. To make the decision to put someone in the shack.

"Ashton!" Makenna said and shook my shoulder.

"What?"

"It's time to go."

I re-packed my things and got up and followed her back down the path. As we ran I looked up at the sky to see dark clouds coming. Rain? I never rained before in the Glade.

"Makenna."

"I see. We need to get back."

We started to sprint. As we neared the corridor that lead to the Glade the first drops began to fall. I entered the Glade as the fight began.

The girl's Glade is split into two groups. The group the likes me and the group that doesn't.

I threw my backpack off and ran towards the fight. As I got closer  I saw it was Liz. No. Liz was attacked by a griever and got stung. I prayed that she was not go crazy. She was a good friend, and now I have to banish her.

"Liz stop!" I said and grabbed at her shoulders.

She turned and jumped on me. My back and head slammed into the hard packed dirt. My vision blurred as she began to claw at me face.  I could hear her heavy breathing and she was trying to say something but it was inaudible.

"Liz stop!"

She was taken off of me and I rolled onto my stomach. I could feel the blood running down my face.

"Ashton. Are you ok."

"Put her in the shack."

"Are you ok?"

"I'm fine just go."

I rolled back over once I heard their footsteps go away. Once back over I opened my eyes and the rain began to come down.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The first arrow landed just an inch from my foot. Owen pulled me to a stop just as another arrow landed at his feet.

The group of girls had stopped and trained their weapons on us. I searched the group for Thomas. He's not there.

"Where is Thomas?" I asked.

"He's not here. Teresa took care of him." Harriet said.

I hate her. She hates me to. She left me in the maze to die. Took over as leader. Fought with me to become leader. 'Leader' of the group that hated me in the maze.

"Where are they?"

"None of your concern. Now come, you two are our prisoners."

"Actually no. There can only be a new leader of the old one is dead. Ashton isn't dead. So she is still leader. Those are the rules." Brook said and winked at me.

"Yes they are but were not in the Glade anymore." Harriet said.

"Correct. But you said that all the rules still apply even though we are not in the Glade. You said that back at the WCKD headquarters." Mai said.

I walked toward Harriet and took the bow out of her hands and the sheath off her back. I smiled at her and at her followers who now had bows pointed at them.

"So Ashton, is it true that Harriet left you when you were attacked my a griever?" Makenna asked coming to stand next to me.

"Yes. It is didn't you get my letter?"