Chapter 48

After her talk with her Dad, Bella started to wonder about her mother and her reasons for leaving Charlie. The love Charlie had for Renée, the kind of love that never seems to die even after your hearts been stomped on, ripped out and shredded... Bella just didn't understand how her mother could've walked away from that. She wanted so badly to call her mother and ask her what had happened; why she'd changed her mind but she wasn't sure she should.

Paul had watched Bella for days after the talk with her father and he knew Bella still had a lot of unanswered questions.

"Why don't you just call her?" Paul asked Bella, when he walked into the living room to find her laying on the couch and staring at her phone

"Who?" She asked looking up at him

"Your mother." He said as he sat on the coffee table in front of the couch

"How did you know I was thinking about calling her?" She asked

"I heard a little bit of what you and your Dad talked about the other day and I've seen you staring at the picture of your mom that you keep on your side of the bed."

"I just have all these questions but I'm afraid she won't be willing to answer them." She frowned

"Maybe she'll tell you what you want to know and maybe she won't but you're not going to find out by just staring at your phone."

"You're right." Bella sighed

Paul nodded his head and leaned in to give her a kiss.

"I've got to head out for patrol, I love you."

"Love you too."

"Call her." He shouted as he walked out the door

Bella sighed and dialed her mother's number.

"Hello?"

"Hi, mom. How are you?"

"Oh, hi Bella. I'm wonderful. How are you?"

"I'm good. Do you have time to talk?"

"I sure do. What's up?"

"Well, um, it's about you and Dad."

"Me and Charlie?"

"Yea. We were talking the other day and he was telling me about your wedding day and some other things and I guess I was just wondering why you've never told me about it."

"I don't know, Bella; it was just such a dreary day and nothing like the fairytale ever girl imagines."

"But you were happy right; so in love that you just couldn't wait to be married?"

"Of course honey."

"Then why wouldn't you tell me that?"

"Why are you so upset that I never told you about my wedding day?"

"It's not just that Mom. I've spent my entire life believing that getting married to Dad was one of the biggest regrets of your life and that the two of you just didn't love each another to stay together."

Renée was beyond surprised at the direction this conversation had taken; she'd thought maybe Bella was nervous about her own wedding and was just calling to find out if her mom had been this nervous when she'd married Charlie or Phil.

"What? Why would you think that?"

"Because you never talk about what it was like being married or how happy you were with Dad or how much you loved him. It was always about how you couldn't wait to get out of Forks and how happy you were not to be stuck in this frumpy little town."