Chapter 4

I wake up around dawn to get an early start on my quest. After I bath I put on a gold and white dress with a white jacket as long as my dress. Then I fix my hair in a high bun with a gold flowered tiara on top of my head. With a packed satchel with food, fresh water, and a change of clothes I head downstairs.

As I walked down the stairs to stables, I run into Ian. He has on a matching white jacket and pants with black boots on. His silver crown sits on his gorgeous hair shining in the light. "Good morning, beautiful," he smiles. I almost snap at him when I realize his father stands behind him. King Aidan has on a blue jacket with his gold crown on top of his head. He still has that evil look in his eyes. I can believe that he might take over this kingdom. "Morning," I reply back to Ian.

"Well I hope you two will stay safe out there," King Aidan says.

"We will," Ian says. "You have nothing to worry about."

"I hope not," Aidan says with an almost cruel smile. He walks away without saying goodbye.

"You do look beautiful though," Ian tells me. "I wasn't just saying that because of my father. I didn't even know he was behind me."

Great, the last thing I need is another boy falling for me. "Thank you."

"Are you ready?" he asks as he takes my hand. I nod yes as I let him pull me to the stables.

My parents are waiting for me there. My mother pulls me into a tight hug."Stay safe, honey." My father gave Ian a firm handshake."Keep her safe," he told him almost as a threat. Father turns towards me to say, "when will you return?" Seriously. No, I love you or be safe or remember what I taught you. Then I feel my mom put her hand on my shoulder and look at me as if to say what he means is I love you and be safe.

"I plan to be back on my birthday in a week."

"Well the wedding can be that day too," my mother suggests.

"I think that's a good idea," Queen Marie agrees as she and her husband walk into the stables.

"Then we will have the decorations ready by the time we get back,"King Aidan says happily. I bet he is thinking that the sooner we get married is the sooner he can take over the kingdom. Ian looks at me and then his father and says,"that sounds perfect." Like I want to get married on my eighteenth birthday.

"You two should be off then," my father says. "Have fun."

We head out on the previous horse we rode yesterday. We ride alongside the forest for two hours until we finally lost sight of my kingdom. Open road lies in front of us for a good day. Just us and the road and our thoughts. I suddenly think of Charles. He didn't say goodbye this morning, but I guess he had to work. Then I think about the way Charles put his hands on my face to ask me for the truth. That then has me wondering why I enjoyed the way Ian had kissed me at dinner. I must be making a face because Ian asked me, "do you hate spending time with me?"

I smile. "It's just I was thinking."

"About?"

"Life." That makes him laugh.

"You know what I'm thinking about?"

"What?"

"You. Me. Our lives in a week." I look at him wondering where he is going with this.

"What about us in a week?" I ask.

"If we succeed in a week, what will happen to us? And what will happen if we fail?"

"If we succeed, then your father will go to jail and we shall make peace within our kingdoms. If we fail, then we shall get married and figure out how to stop your father later."