Chapter 5

"Mr. Mayor!" Gail exclaims.

"My dear girl, I haven't seen you in years, how much you've grown up!"

Gail sighs, obviously happy that he remembers her.

"I have come to you for help. We are heading to the Solar kingdom as fast as possible. Is there any way to get there in a minimum of two days?"

The dwarf sighs. "I should have known that you wouldn't stay long. You never do." And the guilt trip has succeeded.

"Well... Maybe I could..." She looks at us, like a child in the candy shop. And I was that meanie mom.

"No," I say firmly.The mayor looks at me with a scowl, like I'm telling him his granddaughter wasn't going to see him this year. Which is probably what is happening. "We really need to get going. We are expected back on the 9th," I remind Gail.

She nods sadly. "Sorry Discord," Gail says as she hugs him.

Discord doesn't give up though. "What if you just stayed for the eclipse? We plan to have a festival on it."

I shake my head. "Maybe on the way back from our trip."

That makes him smile. "The least I can do is help supply your trip. Come and follow me." The mayor starts walking away towards the center of the village. Walking by, we see children chasing each other, bakers handing out bread to the people, and dwarves talking to each other. When we walk pass each dwarf, the stop what they're doing to bow. Even the children stop. One little girl comes up to me and gives me a tiny white daisy. I say thank you before she runs off. My father always told me that even though I am royalty, I am still to respect everyone.

We walk into a building that stands in the center of the village. It is cleaner, white, and stands taller than the rest of the buildings. Even though the building looks better than any of the village's, the inside only has one bare room. There is one brown desk in the center of all the white walls. A book shelf stands on my right side and a large wooden box sits on my left. Once Discord stands next his desk, he turns around to face us. "This is my office. There on the bookshelf is where I keep my own personal books. That wooden box holds all the records of Black Hallows. Now I have some gifts for you." He goes behind his desk to grab a black beat-up box and drags it in front of us. Gail walks to the box and opens it. I pull out extra arrows from the box. This way I won't run out by the time we return. Ian pulls out a small gold container full with liquid. Must be more fresh water for us. Gail grabs a small steel dagger and puts it in her belt.

"Thank you, Mr. Maxwell," Ian says.

"We must be on our way now," Gail says regretfully.

"Very well. I wish you luck on your journey," Discord says as he hugs Gail.

Outside, some of the dwarves cared for our horses and Gail is provided with her own brown horse. We get back on our horses, but before we could take off, Discord yells at us to wait. "At least let me give you this map."

I take the map. It shows all the kingdoms and territories in the land. The Solar Kingdom in the North and the Twilight Kingdom in the South. The Fairy Kingdom lying in the center with the Dwarves' Territory lying in between the northwestern corner of the Twilight Kingdom and the southwestern corner of the Fairy Kingdom. The ruins of the Dusk Kingdom lie in the West with the Elves' Territory covering the edge of it. The Northeast carries the Ogres' Territory while the rest of the East is bare.

"Thank you, Discord," I say. Then we start riding away from Black Hallows.

We ride in silence. All of us lost in our own thoughts. My mind kept going to the horrible thought of us failing. What if Ian is working for his father? What if he's lying to me? What if Gail is lying to us? She did come out of nowhere. When she told us how her parents died she didn't seem broken about it. Even people who make themselves hard to pain and sadness don't sound that heartless to a love one passing. She may be lying about them being dead or how they died. I am also worry about my parents. What would Aidan do to my parents if he did take over? Would Ian stand up for me?