Crybaby

Hey folks! How are you doing? This chapter is quite important for the story, in my opinion, because it mostly expresses Ryan's insecurities and how strong is his friendship with Jo. Besides, there is some information about his past - that will only be completly revealed later on :P 

Hope you enjoy it! Many kisses <3

Narrator's POV.

The twilight was slightly cold. It was the middle of the week and some elderly folks could be seen rambling around in the city's enjoyable and neat sidewalks. This part of the day was the time that the most part of the elderly population of the place chose to exercise; you could see many old couples holding hands and laughing, walking their dogs, or just walking by themselves. 

Among all these people there was one who diverged. It was a beautiful young lady wearing jeans and hoodie, with long brown hair and thick browns. Jolie Ann was making her way to the city's main hospital and she didn't look happy at all. 

The receptionist already knew her. She'd been coming to the place to visit a young boy who was evolved in a traffic accident, and she was always with that numb expression, so the receptionist didn't even bother to ask if she needed something when the girl passed by her.

Jo knew that if she knocked on the door, Ryan would pretend to be sleeping. He was avoiding her, that she was sure. Her mind couldn't run away from that thought and neither from the pain that accompanied it, for she knew exactly the reason of this ice cold treatment. 

He was embarassed. He promissed her he wouldn't run again, but yet he did. So, to avoid the frustrating situation of Ryan and his fake sleep, Jo bursted into the room without warning. 

There he was. Ryan was reading something, and lowered the book so he could face the person who just entered the room. His hair was messy and he had deep dark circles. The bruises on his face were almost healing, but still they were terrible apparent and dark of color, what sent chills down the girl's spine. Flashes crossed Jo's mind; it was almost like she could hear Ryan sobbing and see his body shaking in a mix of anger, fear and pain, just like it happened some years before. She would give almost everything so she wouldn't live through that again. Live through the worry for her friend's health of body and mind, and through the shame she felt for wanting to leave him alone and escape from all of that. 

Jo thought she wouldn't have to go through it once more, and he swore she wouldn't, but there they were again. 

"Hey." Ryan greeted in a tone so low that she could barely hear it. He wasn't facing her. "How's it going?"

Jo forced herself to sit on the chair besides his bed. She told herself she would have self control, and wouldn't have a meltdown or lose her temper. She always lost her temper. However, now she would behave like a grown up.

"History repeats itself." It was all that she could reply. The irony was almost solid, could almost be touched.

Ryan sighed deeply and closed his book, carefully placing it under his pillow.

"Does it has to do with Tess?" Jo inquired, controlling her voice tone. Ryan looked at her for a moment.

"No, it doesn't." He replied and Jo studied his expression carefully.

"Are you lying to me?"

"Yes." Ryan sighed again, running his fingers through his hair. "Yes, I am lying to you."

"Ryan, what's the freaking matter with you?" The girl exclaimed, throwing her arms up in frustration. Then she took a deep breath and closed her eyes for an instant. "You don't talk to me like before. You hide things from me, you lie. You gave me your word that you wouldn't run again and you know how much that hurts me. So why? What's the reason? What do you have to say? I've been worrying so much about you the last few days... I love you. You're my bestfriend. Please, tell me what's going on."

Ryan stared deeply at Jo's dark eyes, and for an instant she felt the urge to tell him everything, despite the situation, the bad timing and how shaken both of them were. She felt like declaring him her feelings, and telling him she could make him truly happy. Jo blindly believed that she could make him happy, but in that moment her beliefs shoke. Could she? 

"You remember a party I went last weekend?" He asked. "The one at Northwood's place?"

"Yes, I think so." Jo replied, frowning. "So?"

"Evan was there. Jo, you know how much we dislike each other. We ended up fighting badly. Thank Heavens no one saw it, but the thing is... I went to tell Ella that I couldn't give her a ride home when she insisted to clean my bruises. She had no second intentions at all, I know it, but we ended up almost kissing, Jolie. And, for a moment... A brief, really short moment, when I closed my eyes, Tess's image came to my mind." Ryan confessed and his voice broke a little. Jo tried to keep her face straight, but it was like she received a punch on the stomach. She ignored it and nodded, encouraging him to go on. "We didn't kiss, after all. Her friend came in and then I left. I feel like I'm in love with Ella, Jo, and I think it might not be a feeling of the moment. And still, I can't move on. Tess keeps showing in my mind and the fact that I almost ruined her life... She could have died. And because of me! Tell me, how can I move on? I never saw her again, I never talked to her again, and every corner of this freaking small town keeps reminding me of her. I'm a coward and wanted to run from all of it. So I did it, and here I am."

"My aunt is mad at me. I broke her heart and her trust. My parents don't have a clue about what they'll do about me, my sister is miles away worried sick and I broke the promise I made to you. I fear... Jo, I fear all I do is break the people who love me. I wish I was better. I don't know what to do."

Ryan faced Jo during all this time. She stared at him for a moment, thinking of what to say. Then, she took his hand and looked directly to his eyes, and when she spoke her voice was firm.

"Look at me, Ryan, and please listen carefully. You know I love you, don't you? But do you know what I don't love? Mourning about one's own situation. That's exactly what you're doing. Ryan, please, look around you! Tess is not here anymore! I know all the things you've been through were not easy, but please, stop and think for a moment. You're surrounded by opportunities and people who love and care about you. So stop weeping, because it won't make any difference. It will just stop you from moving on. You choose if you will keep following the "misunderstood badboy" style or will run after a better life. I just want you to know I'll be here by your side." 

Ryan looked surprised. His eyes widened during Jo's scold and then he frowned. After that, he chuckled and squeezed Jo's hand a bit.

"You're harsh, aren't you?" He inquired and Jo chuckled.

"I'm sorry. You know that's my way of trying to help." She replied.

"That's okay, I needed to hear that. I'm really sorry for what I did, Jo. I'm really sorry I hurt you. But now things will be different. Instead of giving you words, I will give you acts. I'm gonna change." Ryan decided, and then smiled wholeheartedly. "Thank you. You're an angel."

Jo replied with a hug. Inside, she felt happy for her friend, but something in her heart was crying. 

"That Ella... Do you like her?" Jo carefully asked, sitting again. Ryan took a bit to answer.

"I don't know. She told me she sees a good heart inside me. It's a pretty big thing, y'know." Ryan stretched his lips in a smile. 

Jo faked a smile back. Maybe she was being a cry baby, after all.