Chapter 16: Background

That day, humanity remembered, the terror of being ruled by them. The humiliation of being kept in a cage.

You thought of these walls, and who they've kept safe for so many years. Images of your little sister flooded through your mind. She was so little, but yet had such a big heart and ambitious mind. She looked up to you immensely. 

You recall the day the tiny girl declared to the world that she was going to follow in your parents footsteps and fight titans. Your father had been a loyal member of the Survey Corps, while your mother was apart of the Garrison. Both had killed many titans in their lifetime, until wall Maria fell and they were both killed. Their legacy had carried on through you. Once you joined the Survey Corps yourself, it was your duty to continue it. This wasn't hard. In fact, it was often said that you were born to kill...

The people you trained with became your family, your friends, who you trusted with your life. Levi had known you the longest because you both trained together. He was quiet and always seemed as if he resented being there, but you always brushed it off because most cadets did. After a while he became accustomed to you because of how well you worked together in battle. After learning about each others past, It was agreed that neither of you would leave the walls without each other. 

Although you were bloodthirsty for titans, tears fell from your eyes as you thought about the tiny girl in front of you taking on those monsters. She had a frail body and such a kind heart and you wanted it to remain that way. You wanted her to stay safe inside the walls forever, so that you may never lose her. You swooped her up into our arms that day, and held her close so that she would not see your tears. 

After you had taken control of your emotions, you lifted your head from her shoulder and grabbed the tiny chain that had always rested around your neck, removing it from yours and letting it fall around hers. You held up the small item attached to it so that she could see. It was your fathers bronze ring, and engraved on it were the wings of freedom. Her face lit up as she examined the small item. 

You vowed that day to protect her. To kill every last one of those titans so that she would never have to.