Chapter Twenty Nine: Twenty Nines and Forty Twos

[Author’s note: Hey guys! Yes you read the title right. It sounds complicated? Nah. Anyway the rest of the story (unless notified otherwise) is going to happen in Harry’s POV as well as Aiden’s. So enjoy :) PS. I suggest listening to “Demons” by Imagine Dragons just to add to your tears if you’ll have any in the next chapters :).]

Delùniël and I landed last it seemed, the rocks unraveled around me and I was standing next to him now. “Harry!” I heard Giselle squeal happily and soon enough her face was buried into my chest. I missed her, her body, her scent, her everything. “Harry, I was so worried.” She stated, her words muffled against my chest. “Hmm, you never told me you were in love young master Harold.” Delùniël stated. “I uh, well I didn’t really know…uh you wanted to know?” I said turning to him. We burst into laughter and Giselle led us into the dining room where we joined our re-created group.

            After supper, we got down to business. We had to understand what our position was and how long we’ve been down here and how summon Spirits work. “We dissipate into your bodies and lend you new power. And of course we come back to live in our kingdoms once our masters die.” Lôkiêl explained. “So when we wake up tomorrow, you guys will be in our bodies?” Liam said. They all nodded. “So how do we get out of here?” James asked, his arm stretched on the back of Liam’s chair. “There’s a portal a floor down. We just step through it and we should be back on our way to Hathran’s fortress.” Giselle said. “So, let’s get some sleep then?” Vanessa suggested. Aiden; who wasn’t at the table, but in a secluded corner of the room, was listening intently when finally he came forward and pressed a hand on Giselle’s shoulder. He leaned down to her ear and whispered something inaudible and then left the room, “Goodnight everyone.” He said lifting his hand in the air; never bothering to look at anyone else.

            I was lying in bed when there was a soft knock on the door. “Come in?” I stated, Giselle walked in. “Harry…” she whispered, she’d been crying. I sat up, “what’s wrong?” she came underneath my covers and snuggled into my chest, “I don’t want you to worry, but I have to tell you.” She said sleepily, I wrapped my arms around her. “tell me…” I whispered, she was slowly drifting to sleep, “I might not be able to fulfill that promise I made you when we first left…” she mumbled and then her breathing went sound and steady…

            “So, we just step through it?” Kellan asked, putting his hand through the portal. We all exchanged looks, “well we won’t complete our mission if we just stand here.” He stated, and then walked completely through. Vanessa followed him, and we entered in pairs. We were placed in front of a stone monument, dark woods surrounding us and crows made us jump. “We’re here.” Giselle stated silently, she grew her wings and flew up. As did Aiden and Kellan, they flew into the lower window and unlocked the front door. ‘Well done pitiful savior.’ It was Hathran, and she was watching us, ‘You’ve made it to my beautiful home. What’d you think? Take a good hard look. You’ve put yourself right into my trap.’ I looked up; an army enough to rule the entire world was ranked in front of us. ‘You put your friends in danger yet, you cower yourself; you aren’t strong enough to fight me. Leave the mortals, come fight me; your half-sister. You have twenty nines and forty twos but cannot look beyond your noses.’ What was that supposed to mean?

(AIDEN’S POV)

“Giselle, it’s a riddle. This castle has a safe; her lair. That’s what she means; her ranks 29 by 42, twenty two rows and forty two columns. We don’t look past them because we can only focus on their number. Her lair is beyond her ranks; our noses.” I explained, I wasn’t about to let Giselle go into that place alone. If I wanted my plan to work I’d have to get her to agree to let me have her trust and let me follow her to Hathran.

We flew fast, dodging arrows and spells of all sorts being thrown to us from below; this is what started it. The Final Battle had just begun and I was ready for what I had to do. Soon the ranks of enemies vanished behind us and we flew into a huge hall, banisters of black stone decorated it. We kept flying and flying until we saw a glowing doorway. We landed, “Aiden,” she turned to me, “I do not ask you to come with me.” She was earnest, “Yeah, and I’m just coming anyway.” We backed up, “hold my hand?” she asked, her voice slightly trembling. She was scared and I knew it. But I also knew she was brave; and I wasn’t going to let her believe otherwise. I nodded and grabbed her hand. I looked down; it was already blue from the poison, it was cold and felt dead. I squeezed it tight. “On the count of three,” I stated, she nodded, “one,” she said, “two,” I said, and together we started to dash towards the door, “THREE!” We jumped…