Chapter 7

We found the kids in the downstairs lounge room, versing each other on the play station. Tom's entire composure changed when he entered the room. He seemed to be more relaxed, at ease. Straight away, Tom walked over to the kids and joined in the fun. Happily, I watched the three of them for a while from the corner of the room. They were so familiar with each other that it seemed unbelievable that only a few months earlier they had been strangers. With those cheerful thoughts in mind, I left the room unnoticed to get myself busy on the toy and gift boxes for the children in the housing area.

"Enough play-time, boys and girls," I announced a good hour later, clapping my hands to unmistakably signal them it was an order, not a request. The twins and Tom looked back over their shoulders at me. With a quick wave and complaining that they just had to finish that round, Emma and Sam devoted themselves back to their game. Tom on the other side dreamily lowered his hand, keeping his eyes on mine. He was looking for a clue, I could tell.

"I need some strong hands to help me carry those boxes to the hall." My gaze trailed over the coffee table in front of them, which was now covered in afternoon snacks and crumbs. Being fully aware of how tired everyone was, I still had the urge to drop off the boxes on the very same day. I was too excited about seeing the reaction of everyone living on the premises.

"I'm way too tired, mum," Sam protested without looking at me, stretching his arms out with an accompanying loud yawn. "Yeah, me too," Emma quickly added, and within no time they both continued their game. My gaze wandered to Tom, who was still looking at me, shrugging in defeat.

"You," I pointed at Tom with raised brows, "have no excuses. I need you to help me."

Tom was up immediately, following me without fuzz. "I love you giving me orders," he whispered from behind in my ear as we were leaving the room, brushing his shoulder accidentally against my ear. The slight contact sent shivers through me.

"Sorry for being so bossy." I stopped in front of the door to the downstairs study where my boxes had been stored, and I turned to face Tom.

"I love you bossy, darling. And I love it even more when you need my help and ask for it."

"Or tell you?"

"Yes, or tell me," he laughed.

"You can open the door for me, Tom," I told him when he set to lift one of the heavier boxes.

"I'll have my hands full with this one," Tom pointed at the box in front of him.

"No heavy lifting, the doctor said." His scars from Michael's attack were still fresh.

"That was last week."

The new toys were a great success. The sparkles in the kid's eyes were heart melting, and even Tom could not stop grinning.

When we returned to the villa, to my surprise, the kids were both fast asleep in their beds. They looked exhausted, even in their sleep. For a moment I considered to quickly clean their hands and faces with wet wipes as I used to when they were younger and had fallen asleep in the car. Smirking at the memories, I reminded myself that they were probably just a bit too old for that.

In the hallway, Tom waited for me. Just the two of us then. Dinner in the city?"

"Absolutely!"

Prajit drove us through the vibrant New Delhi night life. Everything looked so different. Modern and historical architecture stood side by side, shining in the night lights. Tom was sitting in the back seat next to me, looking gorgeous in his short jeans and black t-shirt, wearing that hint of a content grin of his. As soon as we'd sat down in the car, Tom had taken my hand in his, playing with the ring on my finger while looking at me intensely. I couldn't stop but smile brightly when looking back at him, but was ever so often tempted to look out the window, at this remarkable city which was so different than any other place I'd ever been to.