Chapter 21

The divider between our offices was open and like so often, I watched Tom type away on his computer across from me. I had kept myself busy the entire morning, meeting some of the employees I would work closely with. The office had a very different flair to it on a work day, and considering it was the first day after Easter, I could only imagine how busy it would be in a week or so. Everyone had been very friendly, although most of them seemed to be slightly reserved toward me. Maybe because I was the bosses fiancee, or maybe simply because I was new.

Keeping busy had kept my mind off the disappointment that Tom couldn't be Eva's son. He had explained to me that the bracelet had been in his file at the orphanage and the documents stated that he had been found with it. He was Tom Mayer. I didn't really understand why someone would put a bracelet with a babies name on it and hand the child over to an orphanage unless they had planned to get their child back at some point, or at least stay in contact. Over the course of the morning I had however come to terms with the fact that my apparent helper syndrome had pushed me so far to not only believe that I had found Tom's mother, but also that my self-imposed task had become more important to me than it had been to Tom. He was content where he was in his life. He had said it so many times, but I refused to believe him, convinced I knew better, convinced that I knew exactly what else he needed and that I could deliver. I had been so fed up in my net of phantasm that I failed to see that we had everything we needed, and that for once, I should just take Tom's word for it.

I concentrated back on the screen in front of me and put together a short speech for my official welcome on Friday, when my phone rang. It was my mum. She told me about all the fun things they had been up to and asked if the kids could just stay for the rest of the week. They would bring them up to Hamburg on Friday. I knew that the kids were keen on coming to Hamburg, but they also loved their grandparents and it would give them quality time together.

"So, what are you going to do in Hamburg for the rest of the week?" my mum asked. She really had come around when it came to Tom, showing an interest without judgement.

"It's just work today, mum," I told her. "Tom's introducing me to everyone and I'm slowly getting the hang of things. I love working here with him." My mum's occasional "mhm's" indicated that she was listening and so I continued listing everything we had planned for the week. "And tomorrow evening we'll be attending a talk from a woman who is searching for her lost son. I'm planning to start some projects here which can help..."

"A talk?" my mum suddenly interrupted me.

"Ahm. Yeah. A lady named Eva Thymann is talking about her search for the son she lost in the GDR."

There was silence on the line. In the background I heard the kids and my dad. My mum's deep breaths were the only sign that she was still on the phone.

"I'll talk to you later," my mum suddenly announced before hanging up.

My mum's performance on the phone had sightly irritated me, but then again, it wasn't really the first time. I wasn't going to think about it or even let it bother me. Didn't they say that people became stranger as they got older? Well, that may very well be the case for my mother. Maybe for me, too.

I moved my attention back to my computer, steeling a last glance at Tom, who was now talking on the phone while tapping the pen in his hand repeatedly on the desk. After I finished my speech for Friday, I did more research on organisations I could work with. The google search brought back many international charities. There was also a list of children's home, foster care organisations and those helping traumatised adults who used to grow up in orphanages. I could see us getting involved in all of them. I had just finished adding another organisation to my list of potential contacts when I felt Tom's gaze on me. I looked up as his beaming smile scorched through me like cupids arrow. He looked so happy and content, so proud. And in that moment I decided I was not going to do anything to retaliate Tom's past. He had moved on from it, and so should I. Why was I trying to hold him back? I caught Tom's interest through my idea of establishing a program, organising holidays for children in orphanages and foster care. That's what I would do. I don't know why I didn't think about it earlier. I would set up a fund which would be accessible to everyone meeting certain criteria by application. Pride and happiness spread through me the moment my decision was certain.

"What are you smiling about," Tom asked with a grin that must have matched mine.

"I've got it, Tom!" I clapped my hands excitedly while squealing like a teen. "I finally know where to put all your money, honey!" Yes, I was sounding ridiculous, but I had realised that the simplest solutions could be the best and felt like I was on a high.

"Tell me, honey." Tom mocked me, but it was obvious that he was happy with me. "What are you going to do with our money, honey?"

"Let's have lunch, my shout, and I'll tell you."

Tom loved the idea I elaborately presented him over lunch. After all, I've had this program worked out in my head for months. It had just fallen in the background. Back at the desk , I began writing the proposal with the intention to present it at Friday's meet and greet.

"Have you heard from the kids today at all," Tom asked me as we sat cuddled up on a park bench, overlooking the harbour, each of us a coffee in hand.

"No, but I spoke to my mum earlier and they're staying with my parents until the weekend. My mum was a bit in a rush." There was no point in telling Tom the exact course of our conversation.

"Let's call them now," Tom suggested. "I want to know if Sam wants to watch a soccer game with me on Saturday."

"I'm sure he would love it."

"I think so, too. Emma won't be keen, won't she?" I shook my head no and Tom continued his weekend planning. "And I thought maybe we can all together watch the Lion King."
The Lion King, I thought. I loved that musical. And Hamburg had its very own Lion King Theatre in the Harbour where visitors were transported to by boat. The pictures I had so often seen in the past looked just stunning, romantic. I took my phone from my bag and dialled my mum's number. The phone rang out. As she didn't have a mobile, I sent both Emma and Sam a Facebook message, asking them to call me when they get a chance.