Chapter 13

The next morning I woke to an empty bed. Tom's hushed voice sounded from the hallway outside our bedroom. A glance at my phone revealed that it was not yet 6.30am. What was going on in the office that needed his attention so early on Easter Sunday? I crept out of bed and stepped into the semi-dark hallway, hoping to find out more about the issue. But the kids were already awake, shouting to us to come outside. They stopped believing in the Easter Bunny years ago, much earlier than I'd liked, but Easter was still an exciting day.

"I really need you to get a grip on it. - If I have to." And then Tom hung up without a good-bye." His icy face melted and was replaced by a caring, warm smile.

"The Easter Bunny was here," Tom playfully called, greeting me with a kiss. I was always astounded how quickly Tom's mood could change.

"What's going on Tom?" I whispered, before taking the first step down.

"I might have to leave today for Hamburg, darling." The regret in his voice spoke volumes.

"Why?"

"Let's talk later. You just stay here until Wednesday as planned and then come up with the kids." The smile on his face was back up the moment the kids came into sight. While Tom picked up a chocolate egg from the top of a rain barrel I whispered: "If you're going today, I'll come with you."

After spending a wonderful Easter Sunday morning with my parents, I noticed Tom getting more and more restless. He seemed to enjoy the family atmosphere but checked his phone ever so often, typed messages and disappeared for calls.

At lunch time I was helping mum in the kitchen preparing the meal, when Tom passed the open door to the outside, eyes focused on the phone in his hand.

"He's quite busy today," mum noticed. "It's Easter. A day for the family."

And there it was. All morning no word, but it would have been too good to be true. I gave mum an "are you serious-look". "Don't mum, please." I folded the hand towel I was using to dry my hands and put it next to the sink, then I followed Tom outside, wordless.

I stopped in front of the door, watching him unnoticed walk up and down the driveway. A slight spring breeze blew through his hair and carried most of his words in the opposite direction. But his posture, his pacing up and down the driveway told me that he was concerned.

I kept on watching him, sitting on the stairs while guests just arrived at our neighbours' across the road. When finally the phone found its place back in Tom's pocket, I walked toward him. His concerned face was immediately replaced by a happy facade.

"Hey, Engel. I didn't see you coming." His hands wrapped around my hips, coming to a rest on top of my butt. But I didn't want to play games. I needed to know what was going on. Something was seriously troubling him, and after all, I was the person he was supposed to confide in.

"What's going on, Tom? Please tell me." He struggled to keep his pretense, and for a moment it looked like he would drop it. But then, he wouldn't let it slip. Back was his apparent cheerfulness.

"Just some issues at work, honey. Nothing to worry about." Even angrier than his words made me the way he stroked the back of his index finger gently over my cheek. I was not a goddamn child that needed to be calmed.

I pushed him back, a tad harder than intended. The surprise of my slight outburst showed on his face, then he smiled again. "Lisa, noth..."

"Stop it, Tom. I don't want to hear it anymore. Just tell me what's going on."

Wrinkles formed across his forehead while he looked towards the two black cars parked down the driveway. "Baby," he almost whispered, then urged me to sit on the steps at the front door with him. "There are just some security issues I have to deal with. I don't want you to worry about it." His hands held mine tight as he moved closer to me. Relieved that he at least told me something I leaned in to him.

"So what does that mean? Was your system hacked? Did someone break in?"

Tom sighed deeply, carefully considering his answer. "No, Engel. At the moment it's just threats."

"Threats of what?"

Tom looked down at our entwined hands before saying, "I don't know. Nothing specific." He wouldn't meet my eyes and I knew he was lying. He did know, but chose not to tell me. At least he told me something, so I decided to leave it at that.

"What can I do?" So often had I worked against Tom. I'd promised myself to support him more, even though I might not understand everything. I trusted Tom and that he only had my best interest in mind.

"Just stay here, have fun and come up on Wednesday," he answered dryly.

"No way. If you're leaving today: Fine. But I'll come with you.

"No, sweetheart. Your parents would be deeply upset if you leave today. And they'll probably blame me."

"Rubbish. The kids can stay here. I'm sure the big boys over there can bring them up to Hamburg. My parents get to have one-on-one time with them and will be over the moon. - And we will get some one-on-one time as well," I quickly added.

There was a smile. A real one, finally. "Okay."

"Okay. When are we leaving?"

"An hour? Maybe two?"

I told my parents that we had to leave early. They weren't happy but contend when I explained the kids would stay. When Sam and Emma heard about us leave the same day, they insisted to come with us though. In the end, Tom invited my parents to come along to Hamburg, which my mum declined. Tom felt guilty, I could tell. My parents were pissed and the kids just confused. And I, well, I was completely torn. Everyone told me to stay, but I just couldn't. Something told me that Tom would need me.