Chapter 16

The ride to the suburb of Neustadt barely took ten minutes. I enjoyed the tranquil scenery of the Alster Lake, the many parkways and original architecture, consisting of a variety of styles from different epochs. I had been to Hamburg only once before on a day trip wit my parents when I was a child and vividly remembered the beauty of its churches, rivers, bridges and the harbour. With all the water and park areas, the city did somehow remind me of the beauty of Sydney. At times during our ride I could spot the harbour in the distance, but Tom steered the car in the underground car park of a modern business complex, a rarity in the old fashioned landscape. As if reading my thoughts, Tom promised, "We'll be going back the long way, if you like?"

"Along the harbour?"

"Absolutely."

The elevator announced its arrival with a ding. The marbled walls were so shiny, they easily would have passed as mirrors. As Tom pressed the button to the top floor, I began feeling nervous. This was his life, his empire which he built all by himself. Tom's hand closed around mine. I looked up at him, into deep blue eyes. No, I was not going to let the insecurities take over again. A deep breath helped me shake off some of my nervousness. When the doors opened, a large and spacious foyer with reception area greeted us. We first past two security guards who greeted us with a seemingly knowing nod. To the left, a vertical garden wall stretched as a waved ribbon along the wall, with wooden seats and tables in front of them. Magazines were placed neatly in holders on each table. The opposite side of the room featured a curtain of alternating garden and water walls. It was so not what I'd expected. The foyer was such a welcoming and comfortable room, in such contract to Tom's home. Deep in thought about who this man next to me really was, we stepped closer toward the wooden reception desk. A young, pretty blonde greeted us with a smile so bright, it left no doubt on her excellent dental hygiene. Behind her, the city and harbour stretched out in all their beauty.

"Ms Maurer. Good afternoon," Tom greeted her in his friendly professionalism. "Lisa, this is Ms Maurer. Ms Maurer, Mrs Herzig." All those German courtesy phrases, naming me by my surname, sounded so unfamiliar, almost funny, ridiculous.

While Tom discussed a few things with his weekend receptionist, a mix of pride and inferiority overcame me. I tried hard to focus on my pride for Tom, but I couldn't completely shake off those occasional shivers.

The stunning 180° view over Hamburg's skyline of Tom's office mesmerised me: Two floor-to-ceiling window walls. I stood rooted to the ground for some time, unable to take in anything else but the church spires towering over the city roofs, the canals and parks. It was just breathtaking. "Wow!"

Tom was beside me. "What do you think?"

"This is amazing, Tom." Only then, I turned my head to take in the room. Of course, it was spacious, with state of the art furniture and technologies. This room was more what I'd expected.

"Take a seat, Engelchen." Tom pointed at the lounge in the corner. Then he strode to the massive wooden desk and pressed a button. A glass door next to me opened to reveal a wet bar.

"Cappoccino?"

"Absolutely."

Tom made us each a cup of coffee while I continued marveling at my surrounding. After the first sip, Tom set down his cup. "Are you going to be alright for I while," he asked. I nodded.

"Make yourself at home. I'll be back as soon as I can."

Sitting on the comfortable leather lounge alone in Tom's office, sipping my coffee while blankly staring ahead, the room was closing in on me. I felt small and useless, out of place. The nail on my middle finger broke off. I hadn't even noticed that I was picking it with my thumb. It used to be an annoying and ugly habit. But in recent years I had gotten it under control. I started stressing about where to put the broken fingernail. Flicking it on the floor was not an option. This office was so immaculately clean, that that nail would have stood out. So I held it between my fingers.