Chapter Forty Four

When we got back to campus Sunday evening, it felt like everything had changed. People were acting different, and I didn't know why. What could have possibly changed in the space of one weekend? We tried asking around even though there wasn't much people around, but no one would tell us anything. The atmosphere seemed odd. We went to Kenneth and Paisley's room, since we could not find Steph and Brandon, and knocked on their door. Kenneth opened it, hair all messy and only in a pair of shorts. "Can we come in?" I asked. He didn't look too easy about it, but said yes. When we walked in, Paisley was asleep in his bed. Oh, and clothes were flung all around the room. Well then, wonder what they were up to..

"What's up?" he asks quietly, trying not to wake her. Chad asks him what happened on campus and Kenneth's face paled. "No one told you? Not even Ryan?"

"I doubt Ryan would even know, he doesn't go here," I reply back. But then I thought. What is one thing that Ryan and I have in common with this university? Parker. "It's Parker, isn't it?" Kenneth nods his head. "What's happened?" At the end of the day, he's still my friend..no matter how awkward it is. Kenneth didn't say anything, he see,ed reluctant to reply.

"Tell us," Chad insists, slightly frustrated.

"I think he's just hit rock bottom, badly. He tried to, um, take his life. I don't know what's been going on with him, but it seems to have been affecting him a lot. He's in hospital now, his parents are probably there. You should go see him, I think he'd like to see you. Maybe tell Ryan too, after all that is his best friend." I was shocked. Parker did that? Why..? "Lucky for him, someone came and saved him in time before he could do it." I felt my heart sink. If no one had come, Ryan and I would've lost a good friend. We would've never seem Parker again. I didn't say anything in response, I instead just walked out the room. I walked away from the room, bumping into people by accident.

"Princess, are you okay?" Chad asks, taking hold of my hand.

"Not really, no. If he hadn't have been saved, we would've never seem him again," I mumble, looking down at the ground. No tears were shed. I don't know why, but I couldn't cry. I wanted to, but I couldn't.

"Come on, let's go see him yeah?" I nod y head slowly as Chad drags me to his car. When we get in, none of us say anything. All I do it stare out the window. I felt Chad place his hand on mine, but I took no notice to it. All I could think of was how sad Parker must be, how depressed and upset he is..and how he thought that this was the answer.

Before I knew it, we were standing in the hospital room and Parker stared at us. He didn't look himself. He looked worn out, sad, and just not him. "Parker," I whisper, walking up to him.

"Surprised to see you here," he bit out, making me stop my walk towards him. "And of course, you brought him. Trying to rub it in?"

"N-no. We came to see you. I- You- Why? Why did you do this?"

"My life is a mess, Riley."

"This wasn't the answer," I tell him, "you could've spoken to one of us. Ryan, me, Kenneth. Or even Brandon or Steph.. Why didn't you?"

"Firstly, I couldn't tell Ryan. He's too loved up with Amy to care. Those are your friends, not mine. And you, well you broke my heart. Why would I go to you? Be realistic here-"

"No, stop," Chad says, walking up behind me. "Do not blame her. We came here to make sure you were okay and even if she broke your heart, she still cares deeply about you. Ryan, from what I know, is your best friend. No matter how loved up he is, he will always have time for you. I may not be your biggest fan, and you may not be mine, but if Riley cares about you then I suppose I do too. Riley is not to blame, neither are you. No one is. You cannot suffer alone, you have to speak to someone. Your best bet is to speak to Ryan or Riley, or even your parents-"